What's new

iPhone 3GS won't restore

rudeguy

Reaction score
Hey guys. First off, sorry for being a noob.

I got an iphone 3GS threw in on a trade because it was stuck in restore mode. I'm pretty handy with Android phones and I didn't think this would be anything too hard to fix. I was wrong.

When I try to restore via iTunes, after about 10 minutes it errors out and does nothing (error 1604). iTunes does not recognize what version of software the phone is running. I have tried 2 different USB cables and had the same luck. Both with front and back USB inputs on my computer.

What should my next step be? Is there a way to brute force the thing out of restore mode? Anything other than iTunes I can use to do that? I would supply the iOS version but I can't even get to that.

Thanks in advance!

If you can, try a different computer. Since it's stuck in recovery, it wouldn't be wise to remove the driver since you'll be uninstalling the wrong driver. Try plugging in your iPhone and use RedSn0w to identify it using the Identify function under Extras

Thanks! I tried to restore in Redsnow but that was a no go. Is it possible to download the factory image and use Redsnow to flash that?

Here is the info Redsnow game me:

iphone3gs.jpg

Try a restore using DFU mode instead of leaving it in recovery mode. You'll need to download the iOS 6.0.1 IPSW for your device. You can see if you can find it in the below directory on your PC if you've tried downloading and restoring your 3GS to the latest firmware, or you can just go to the link below that and download it if you don't have it.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/041-7949.20121101.Ortn5/iPhone2,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw

Try a restore using DFU mode instead of leaving it in recovery mode. You'll need to download the iOS 6.0.1 IPSW for your device. You can see if you can find it in the below directory on your PC if you've tried downloading and restoring your 3GS to the latest firmware, or you can just go to the link below that and download it if you don't have it.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/041-7949.20121101.Ortn5/iPhone2,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw

Thanks. I'm familiar with DFU.

Would I use iTunes to flash that or Redsnow?

Again..really sorry for being a noob. I wish I could use Odin like I'm used to :)

Wrong choice of words. Flashing something means to only change the appearance of it.

Either is fine.

Wrong choice of words. Flashing something means to only change the appearance of it.

Either is fine.

Really? I guess I have to learn a new way to refer to things.

Redsnow error'd when trying to update to that file. It got to the Apple logo and the status bar, then quit. How do I get iTunes to use that file instead of the backup that it made?

Put the iPhone into DFU mode, then shift+click the Restore button in iTunes' page for your iPhone's profile. Then point it to the IPSW downloaded.

thanks so much

Still get error code 29 that way. Is there something I could be missing?

Error 29 has only two possible causes. 1, your firewall and anti-virus is in the way. 2, your battery is incompatible with your iPhone.

odd. I don't have AV installed and its the stock battery.

Hrmmm....

Huh. Try using iTunes instead of RedSn0w or visa versa.

OK so red snow won't let me use the 6 ipsw but it will let me use 5

Does it know something I dont?

What's the error that it gives. Did you run RedSn0w as administrator and with compatibility set to Windows XP? Did you download the IPSW using a non-Internet Explorer browser?

What's the error that it gives. Did you run RedSn0w as administrator and with compatibility set to Windows XP? Did you download the IPSW using a non-Internet Explorer browser?

I really do appreciate your help.

To answer your questions:
yes
no
yes