What's new

iPhone 3GS unlock/jb

Nickcuban

Reaction score
I tried searching and I couldn't find my answer. I just got an iPhone 3GS that has no sim. Obviously it is giving me the insert sim message, but I am on tmobile and need to unlock it so I can use it. Any help would be appreciated. I spent the last hour or so looking through the forums and searching. Thanks yall

How can I figure that out? Do I need to get redsnow or something similar?

First go to Setting > General > About and figure out what iOS version and baseband you have.

I feel like a complete idiot... I can't figure this out. I JB my iPad1 using redsnow just the other day and I read that the version I used can't be used for hacktivating so I downloaded another version and it wants me to choose my firmware (which I don't know because I don't even know which iOS its running). Am I missing something here? Should I hook the phone up to iTunes? I hate not being able to figure this out because I am guessing it isn't near as hard as it seems.

Alright here is what I have... I don't like that it says its not unlockable...

Baseband 05.15.04
Bootloader 6.2
JBable: yes
Unlockable: no

Also its 4.2.1 and it says its a 3g... so maybe I don't have the 3gs unless theres a chance that its wrong.

f0recast uses the hardware IDs to tell you what device you have so I doubt it would be wrong. Since you're on 4.2.1 you will want to use redsn0w 0.9.6b5 to hacktivate and then you can either use redsn0w, limera1n or greenpois0n to jailbreak.

The baseband you currently have is not unlockable but you can update it to the 06.15.00 baseband in order to unlock(but you will lose GPS by doing this).

Will it be slow and choppy or should I give this back to the seller and get my money back? From what I read there is no way to get ios5 on it and the performance on 4.2.1 isn't great...

If the seller sold it to you claiming it was a 3Gs and it's actually a 3G I would definitely return it. The price difference and performance between the two is quite large. Like you said, you won't be able to install iOS5 and the 3G runs slower on every firmware than it would on a 3Gs.

Alright well I really, really appreciate all the help with this! I just talked to the Ellen and was told a refund is no problem. Honest mistake (sister in laws cousin) was made with the model. Thanks again and hopefully one day I'll be back with another iPhone that is at least the 3GS!