What's new

Iphone 3gs problem

bsmith95610

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3gs that has never had any problems I updated to IOS 5 maybe a week and a half ago then all of a sudden yesterday the phone turned off and said activation required plug into iTunes. I plugged the phone into iTunes and tried to restore it but it tries then fails with the message "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1)." I have tried to downgrade the phone by connecting the phone to my computer then started iTunes let it discover my phone then pressed the power and home buttons for 10 seconds then let go of the power button. The phone's screen remained black then i opened up iTunes and hit recover but I still get the same error message. Does anyone have any idea's on how I can get my phone working? I don't care if I lose everything as long as I can get it working again.

I have an iPhone 3gs that has never had any problems I updated to IOS 5 maybe a week and a half ago then all of a sudden yesterday the phone turned off and said activation required plug into iTunes. I plugged the phone into iTunes and tried to restore it but it tries then fails with the message "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1)." I have tried to downgrade the phone by connecting the phone to my computer then started iTunes let it discover my phone then pressed the power and home buttons for 10 seconds then let go of the power button. The phone's screen remained black then i opened up iTunes and hit recover but I still get the same error message. Does anyone have any idea's on how I can get my phone working? I don't care if I lose everything as long as I can get it working again.
Not sure, is it activated?
Because it says it needs activation.
Have you got warranty?

I had the same problem and same error message and kept trying restore. - However the thing is still not right. For the restore try a different lead and a usb port on the back of pc rather than front. The bloody phone is either wanting activation ten times a day or saying No Signal even to the point of losing its own number - sick of it. Apple want money to tell me how to solve it....... hardly great after sales. Had it a year all good. LAst two weeks absolute shite. If anyone has any suggestions i would be v grateful