What's new

Iphone 3GS errors

maomao107

Reaction score
Hi!

I am having so much trouble with my iphone.

When I went on iTunes, I accidentally click "update" and now I have been stuck at recovery mode for a week now :(
At first, I got the 1015 error; then I went on the internet and fixed it;
then, I got the 3914 error, fixed that.
now, i got the 1601
what's wrong with my phone?

My phone is 3gs, unlocked and jailbroken (and i dont know the firmware)

CAN ANYONE PLEASEEEE help??

what should i do?

Are you trying to downgrade after the iOS upgrade to 4.3.4?

Thanks for your respond!

Actually, I just got this phone and know nothing about it. When I opened iTunes that day, something popped up and ask if I would like to update the software. So I click "yes" and was not aware of the trouble that would cause me!

I wanted it to keep the way it is but now, I couldn't even see anything :(((

If iTunes recognize your iPhone after connecting the iPhone to your computer, then do the upgrade again. You shouldn't face any error message from iTunes since you have never use any iPhone on that computer or since you have never connected any jailbroked iPhone to your computer but if iTunes does show error messages, post here the error codes and I will help you to solve them.

do i have to set it into dfu mode?
because I tried to set it just now, and it doesnt work.
(it sometimes work but sometimes not)

should i just connect the phone and click "restore" on itunes?

thanks again!

Yes just connect it to your computer and click restore in iTunes. Don't do anything on the iPhone.

now the error is 1015 (again!)

the message is:

The iphone "iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1015).

What should I do???

Close iTunes, disconnect your iphone from your computer, go to this address in your computer:
1. Go to C drive and look for Windows folder, then System32 followed by drivers and then finally etc folder

C:\Windows\System32\drivers \etc

2. In the etc folder you can see hosts file.

3. Open the hosts file using notepad and remove all the lines that say Ags.apple.com
When modification finish, save it and exit.

4. Reboot your computer, connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes and click restore. This time is the good one, iTunes will successfully upgrade your iPhone iOS.

hi!
it still says the same thing (with the 1015 error)
what could i do now?

Have you successfully modify the host file? And save it well and reboot the computer? What os are u using? And do you have the admin privileges on your computer? You should modify the host file with admin privileges.

yes i did,
i changed it to .txt file; then deleted the lines with Ags.apple.com; then save and rebooted the computer

last time when I had this error, i remember using something about tiny umbrella...and something about dfu mode, which I could not go back now...

actually, no.
for the 1015 error, i changed the host file, then it's fine.
but after i connect my phone to itunes to restore, the 3194 error occurred.
then, i used the tiny umbrella, and then the 1601 error occur.

Last edited:
yes i did,
i changed it to .txt file; then deleted the lines with Ags.apple.com; then save and rebooted the computer

last time when I had this error, i remember using something about tiny umbrella...and something about dfu mode, which I could not go back now...

actually, no.
for the 1015 error, i changed the host file, then it's fine.
but after i connect my phone to itunes to restore, the 3194 error occurred.
then, i used the tiny umbrella, and then the 1601 error occur.

It seems like you are trying to downgrade, or you are trying to upgrade to a higher iOS than the one in the phone now, and that higher iOS you are trying to load in the phone is not the latest one.
The latest iOS are 4.2.8 iOS for CDMA iPhones and 4.3.4 iOS for GSM iPhones.
Question: what iOS are you trying to load into the phone?

I really don't know if my phone is CDMA or GSM. (My carrier is fido, while the phone is unlocked)

I just want to use ANY iOS that works. Anything that could get me out of this recovery mode, because I cannot even go to the homepage now. I wasn't trying to upgrade or downgrade in the first place anyways.

What I wanted to do is go back to the way it is, with the original iOS and firmware, while keeping it still unlock and jailbroken.

I just don't understand why after one error is fixed, another error pops up :(

Also, how do I figure out the firmware and/or iOS when my phone is on recovery mode?

thanks!

Last edited: