What's new

iPhone 3g Concerns

gadawg31

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of traffic, regarding iOS types and the iPhone 3g. Some are saying I should downgrade to 3.1.3, in order for my phone to run smoothly when jailbroken. Some are saying that 4.2.x and higher is great, but others state it will slow down my phone dramatically when jailbroke. Anyone have a good answer here? I feel like I am stuck between a rock and hard place. Do I downgrade and then jailbreak, or do I keep the 4.x.x on there and jailbreak? Thanks in advance for your advice.

JD

I have been reading a lot of traffic, regarding iOS types and the iPhone 3g. Some are saying I should downgrade to 3.1.3, in order for my phone to run smoothly when jailbroken. Some are saying that 4.2.x and higher is great, but others state it will slow down my phone dramatically when jailbroke. Anyone have a good answer here? I feel like I am stuck between a rock and hard place. Do I downgrade and then jailbreak, or do I keep the 4.x.x on there and jailbreak? Thanks in advance for your advice.

JD

I wouldn't say dramatically. But there is a noticeable difference after upgrade to 4.2.1. That being said, is it enough to make me downgrade, No, but that is my opinion. Do you have your shsh blobs saved for 3.1.3?

Waldoe, I did not even know about SHSH blobs until today, so the answer would be no I guess. I take it, from what I have been reading, that I would have needed to save them prior to me upgrading to the 4.2.x version? Thanks for the input.

JD

Yeah. If you ended up not liking 4.2.1 you would have needed the shsh blobs to downgrade. But honestly, you should have no problem with the 4.2.1. if you want multitasking and notice it crashes when switching betwwen apps, go to cydia and download ifile. With this you can use it to either fix or disable multitasking. you'll want to navigate to system\library\coreservices\springboard.app\n28ap.plist view it as property list view or text viewer and find opengles-1 and change the 1 to a 2. this will prevent the multitasking from crashing. but if you would rather not have multitasking go to the multitasking key and change true to false. this will disable it. I personally use the multitasking feature with no noticeable difference or lag than without. A good alternative to multitasking is backgrounder in cydia. Also, there are a few other ways to speed up your iPhone 3g and reduce lag, so let me know if you have any speed issues.