What's new

iPhone 3G (4.2.1. last update jailbreaking)

zaitmi

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

i am from india just unlocked my iPhone3G (4.2.1) with the help of my carrier "Airtel" by tethering method like he told me to connect my phone to itunes and restore with another sim card and bingo it worked.

Now i am here coz i have read/heard a lot about jailbreaking the iphone but i am a bit scared as it is my office/business phone and i have my calender flooded with so many to do list. I have downloaded redsnow as i heard it is better then snowbreeze. Anyways i have some queries so please help me?

1. Why is shshs blob do i need it as they say u do not need it with 3g?
2. Will it delete my calendar as the update 4.0 iOS did it and i was badly stuck with my calendar.
3. Will it be faster ?
4. Can i jailbreak my iphone3g 4.2.1 with redsnow and what i need to do it?
5. Recently i have downloaded firmware ipsw 4.2.1 of 329mb as the ipsw is not available in my itunes folder even after showing hidden files etc.
5. What i need to downgrade in future?
6. Is there anything i should be worried about like taking backups?
7. What is baseband will it effect my iPhone?
8. So many questions my god plz help?

I am confused with so many sites giving the information in so many ways.

Awaiting for your replies at the earliest. Thanks in Advance.

Hello! and welcome to the forums.

1. Why is shshs blob do i need it as they say u do not need it with 3g?

A. the shsh blobs are saved in case one day you want to downgrade, but since the iphone 3g will receive no more firmware updates and i am guessing you have not saved previous firmware shsh blobs since you dont know what it is you dont need to think about the shsh blobs as they will be no good to you.

2. Will it delete my calendar as the update 4.0 iOS did it and i was badly stuck with my calendar.

A. No. But make sure you always have a very recent backup in itunes (incase something goes wrong)

3. Will it be faster ?

A. No it wont, in fact some apps decrease battery life

4. Can i jailbreak my iphone3g 4.2.1 with redsnow and what i need to do it?

A. iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1] / iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]

5. Recently i have downloaded firmware ipsw 4.2.1 of 329mb as the ipsw is not available in my itunes folder even after showing hidden files etc.

A. what folder where you looking in? maybe the wrong one C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Apple Or user/Library/itunes/iPhone Software Updates for mac

5. What i need to downgrade in future?

A. see answer one about the shsh blobs

6. Is there anything i should be worried about like taking backups?

A. no just make sure you backup in itunes and you will be fine

7. What is baseband will it effect my iPhone?

A. Baseband is what is used to unlock the iphone, but again since you have the latest and the last firmware that will ever be released for the iphone 3g you have the latest baseband and dont need to worry about this either like the shsh blobs.

8. So many questions my god plz help?

.... ask away :)

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Now it will be much easier for me to jailbreak. iphoneforums.net is nice place to stay.

Still some more queries :
i am using winxp
As of answer no. 5 regarding ipsw, i mean its not their in itunes folder.... see i go to
C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Apple\iTunes then i get 1 Cookies folder, 1 iTunes Plug ins folder and 1 iTunesPrefs file.

So can i use the 4.2.1 firmware which i downloaded by putting in the same iTunes folder where it is required ?

What is this all about in iclarified tutorial? Well i am having 05.15.04 (Modem Firmware)

Important for Unlockers regarding no way coming back from baseband 06.15 version

Last question... hopefully I don't need Tinyumbrella do i ?

Thanks in Advance.:)

okay thanks.

Hey bro, i am having redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc12 which i think is the latest one. Moreover in the tutorial it is redsn0w0.9.6b5. I think mine is the latest one as it says 2007-2011 while the tutorial one says 2007-2010.

So i am using mine which is redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc12.

I agree with everthing posted above except the SHSH part. 3G's don't use them so you don't need them to downgrade. Just get your phone in DFU and hold shift while clicking restore then you can point iTunes towards any 3G firmware file you've downloaded.

Unfortunately backups won't work when you downgrade...

Did it finally this morning. Thanks a lot.

Now i did it in my office pc as my home does not have internet access. i read internet access is required on pc to jailbreak iphone. So i jailbroken my iphone in my office and hey all my data is gone Bro u told me told me take backup which i have taken but why did it all vanished. Do u think that my data is synced with my home pc, thats why? I have my phone syced with ms outlook in my home pc.

So tonight i go home and try to restore the backup of contacts,calendars & notes which are very important to me? Could u help me with the procedure?

Coming soon with more queries.

I agree with everthing posted above except the SHSH part. 3G's don't use them so you don't need them to downgrade. Just get your phone in DFU and hold shift while clicking restore then you can point iTunes towards any 3G firmware file you've downloaded.

Unfortunately backups won't work when you downgrade...

yes thats why i mentioned that they wont be any good to him :) sorry i should of been more clear.

a shoft/option restore should do it as you said... and with the 3g i would stay on 3.1.3

Now i did it in my office pc as my home does not have internet access. i read internet access is required on pc to jailbreak iphone. So i jailbroken my iphone in my office and hey all my data is gone Bro u told me told me take backup which i have taken but why did it all vanished. Do u think that my data is synced with my home pc, thats why? I have my phone syced with ms outlook in my home pc.

So tonight i go home and try to restore the backup of contacts,calendars & notes which are very important to me? Could u help me with the procedure?

Coming soon with more queries.

I am loving my iphone in jailbroken condition, wow it looks like iphone 4 with the background change.

Bro my question is how i restore my calendar, contacts and notes in the jailbreaking
mode. Please help. i am stuck here without my to do list in calendar.

Every Second Counts.

Thank you, my job is done, i hav just synced my phone in itunes with contacts calendar etc and bingo i am now where i was with all my data and my phone is also jailbroken, great yahoo....Can u suggest site for top 10 themes for iphone, i saw deviantart has some pretty good ones. I am enjoying 3G like iphone4 feel. But cycorder is crashing even after restart???

Hey guys could u suggest me some themes which changes everything like keyboard, safari screen, settings background btw i luv d settings background color of iphone4. I want a theme that completely changes everything not just the desktop and lockscreen but everything. I want light blue bar of iphone which is present in all the screen, to be converted in some other color. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys could u suggest me some themes which changes everything like keyboard, safari screen, settings background btw i luv d settings background color of iphone4. I want a theme that completely changes everything not just the desktop and lockscreen but everything. I want light blue bar of iphone which is present in all the screen, to be converted in some other color. Thanks in advance.

try some of the HD themes like Omega HD i have that one and it changes everything.. and then colour keyboard for the keyboard you can chose different colours for it to use and blend..

or plenty of other ones like 3dHD that one is pretty sweet but changes half the icons, but i am sure you could edit the theme and add icons..

what i do is just download a tone of themes in cydia that look good and try them out and if i hate it i delete it and end up not knowing what one to keep.. also the HD one comes with animated lock screens and sound packs and different slide to unlock icons..

or you can see some other ones like mario animated theme.. there are tones that change all the icons.

If you backed up your phone before taking it to your works computer you will need to resync it with your own PC to get your stuff back. It's been a while since I've had to manually choose a back up so I can't quite remember how to do it. Next time I'm on the laptop I'll have a look and try jog my memory...