What's new

Iphone 2G issue

rhadiem

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what the probem is with this (new to me) iPhone 2g 16gb unlocked iPhone.

Someone gave me this, and I've been trying to fix it.

It powers up, shows the apple, then doesn't go further.

I can get it into the "sync with iTunes" mode (with the iTunes icon and the plug), but XP says "unrecognized USB device" and a Mac I tested with didn't do anything. (I had iTunes, latest version, running on both)

I also put it into the secret "black display, but you can update stuff" mode, where XP said the same thing, and the Mac didn't do anything.

Someone said it might be a bad port? If so, how would it recognize there's a USB device?

Any ideas? It doesn't seem to be bricked, but I'm not sure what else to try.

I set an appt with an Apple store tonight, hope they can figure it out. I'm thinking I may have a bad cable also.. it's new but it's a cheap one that might not have all the capability, just normal sync / power or something? (dunno) Hoping it's not a bad port.

ok, turns out the guy didn't give me a sim card with it, and it needs that in order to get going. additionally, I needed iTunes 9 (not newer) in order to have it work with the original iPhone, apparently the new ones don't go back that far.

So.. gotta hunt down a 2g sim card that'll work with T-mobile. Any ideas?

Anyone know if it needs a small sim card or a regular one?

I've seen 2g sim card holders for like $10 online so I'll have to get that.