What's new

iPhone 14 Pro Max unintentionally goes into power off mode

CarlK

Reaction score
I carry my new iPhone 14 Pro Max in a leather belt pouch and sometimes my pants pocket. Sometimes I pull the phone from the case or pocket to find it is waiting for me to swipe to confirm power off. I guess i moved in such a way that pressed the side button and a volume button to trigger this. Unfortunately, that screen seems to have no timeout and stays active until I find it, while draining around 20% battery per hour. This never happened with my old iPhone 8 Plus for the five years I used it.

Many people carry their phones in such cases or pockets where button presses can inadvertently happen. Apple should time this screen out if not confirmed within a short time and even disable the buttons temporarily if held pressed for too long to protect against this.

Is anyone aware of some setting or other workaround to deal with this right now?

Thanks!

Check you settings and make sure you have Auto-Lock set to 30 seconds or something short so the phone display doesnt stay on. I would also toggle Raise to Wake off, I found it would also drain my battery but perhaps that is not your experience.

Check you settings and make sure you have Auto-Lock set to 30 seconds or something short so the phone display doesnt stay on. I would also toggle Raise to Wake off, I found it would also drain my battery but perhaps that is not your experience.
Already done. Auto lock at 30 seconds but when the phone is on the "swipe to power off" screen is stays on, full brightness. I watched it for 5 minutes yesterday and based on power drain, it's been on well over an hour other times. Hopefully an IOS update will provide a time-out for that screen. Currently using IOS 16.2.

Already done. Auto lock at 30 seconds but when the phone is on the "swipe to power off" screen is stays on, full brightness. I watched it for 5 minutes yesterday and based on power drain, it's been on well over an hour other times. Hopefully an IOS update will provide a time-out for that screen. Currently using IOS 16.2.
I have never heard anyone else having this issue, although that is obviously not to say I am correct. But if it is not something affecting others, you can’t count on an IOS update to fix something like that. I suggest you keep looking for causes as to what is causing your iphone to keep putting itself in that circumstance. And remember, that new iphone is still under warranty. GL

I have never heard anyone else having this issue, although that is obviously not to say I am correct. But if it is not something affecting others, you can’t count on an IOS update to fix something like that. I suggest you keep looking for causes as to what is causing your iphone to keep putting itself in that circumstance. And remember, that new iphone is still under warranty. GL
It' no mystery how it goes into that mode, it's a feature. If you press the side button and one volume button by grabbing the phone or having the buttons pressed in a pocket, it can go into the mode. Common sense would be to provide a timeout if it's done my accident. Many people have the phone in their hands most of the time so would notice if that was happening and could quickly press cancel. I often have my phone out of sight for a while so I don't notice until quite a bit of battery has been used.

It' no mystery how it goes into that mode, it's a feature. If you press the side button and one volume button by grabbing the phone or having the buttons pressed in a pocket, it can go into the mode. Common sense would be to provide a timeout if it's done my accident. Many people have the phone in their hands most of the time so would notice if that was happening and could quickly press cancel. I often have my phone out of sight for a while so I don't notice until quite a bit of battery has been used.
I understand how to power off the iPhone, I just do not understand how Power Off is initiated while on your belt or in your pocket, especially as it requires two different actions. I have never heard anyone else say this occurs with them. Common sense says surely others would be complaining if that was the case. That’s why I reminded you that your phone is under warranty, perhaps a Genius appointment is in order.

Sorry, my mistake for not being clear. When I said the phone goes into power-off mode, I meant the screen asking to swipe to confirm power-off is displayed, not that the phone had actually powered off. I fully agree that Apple has done a great job preventing accidental power-off by combining the button press action with a touch screen swipe which are highly unlikely to be done in combination by accident. However, the power-off confirmation screen on the 14 Pro Max is brought up simply by pressing the side button and a volume button simultaneously. Since these buttons are located directly opposite each each other any condition which squeezes the phone from both sides can do it. Such conditions include the phone being in a pocket, backpack, purse or snug pouch case. Once the power-off confirmation screen is displayed, the lock screen timer that normally detects inactivity, seems to be disabled and the screen runs full brightness until the phone is either powered off or the cancel icon is touched.

Sorry, my mistake for not being clear. When I said the phone goes into power-off mode, I meant the screen asking to swipe to confirm power-off is displayed, not that the phone had actually powered off. I fully agree that Apple has done a great job preventing accidental power-off by combining the button press action with a touch screen swipe which are highly unlikely to be done in combination by accident. However, the power-off confirmation screen on the 14 Pro Max is brought up simply by pressing the side button and a volume button simultaneously. Since these buttons are located directly opposite each each other any condition which squeezes the phone from both sides can do it. Such conditions include the phone being in a pocket, backpack, purse or snug pouch case. Once the power-off confirmation screen is displayed, the lock screen timer that normally detects inactivity, seems to be disabled and the screen runs full brightness until the phone is either powered off or the cancel icon is touched.

Do you use a case on that iPhone? If not, try using one. It might help prevent this from occurring, if it's done by accidentally pushing the buttons. Could be one or both buttons are too sensitive. I saw someone else a few weeks ago have the same issue.

Do you use a case on that iPhone? If not, try using one. It might help prevent this from occurring, if it's done by accidentally pushing the buttons. Could be one or both buttons are too sensitive. I saw someone else a few weeks ago have the same issue.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I use a Catalyst Influence case and carry the phone in a leather pouch when not in use. The buttons are not super firm but still require a definitive push to be activated and I'm learning to handle the phone more carefully to avoid the buttons. But the real issue is that there is no logical reason for the power-off confirmation screen not to time out either with its own timeout or just honour the lock screen timer that the user sets up in Settings. If someone doesn't swipe to power off in a few seconds then they probably won't. And they can always push the buttons again if needed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I use a Catalyst Influence case and carry the phone in a leather pouch when not in use. The buttons are not super firm but still require a definitive push to be activated and I'm learning to handle the phone more carefully to avoid the buttons. But the real issue is that there is no logical reason for the power-off confirmation screen not to time out either with its own timeout or just honour the lock screen timer that the user sets up in Settings. If someone doesn't swipe to power off in a few seconds then they probably won't. And they can always push the buttons again if needed.
I think you need to schedule a Genius appointment, both button being able to be pressed simultaneously with sufficient pressure to turn on the power off screen is not something normal. Perhaps its a hardware issue but the Genius appointment should figure it out and you are still under warranty.

I think you need to schedule a Genius appointment, both button being able to be pressed simultaneously with sufficient pressure to turn on the power off screen is not something normal. Perhaps its a hardware issue but the Genius appointment should figure it out and you are still under warranty

I must still be unclear in my explanation. The way the iPhone 14 Pro Max is configured to request a power-off is to long-press the side button at the same time as one of the volume buttons which are positioned directly on the other side of the phone. It is definitely a normal operation intended by Apple and not a malfunction. Clearly, neither button can be too hard to press or they wouldn't be useful for any of their many functions. The power-off confirmation screen is still an effective fail-safe to prevent inadvertant power-off.

I'll just have to use some finesse in handling the phone until Apple sees their way clear to provide a timeout.

I must still be unclear in my explanation. The way the iPhone 14 Pro Max is configured to request a power-off is to long-press the side button at the same time as one of the volume buttons which are positioned directly on the other side of the phone. It is definitely a normal operation intended by Apple and not a malfunction. Clearly, neither button can be too hard to press or they wouldn't be useful for any of their many functions. The power-off confirmation screen is still an effective fail-safe to prevent inadvertant power-off.

I'll just have to use some finesse in handling the phone until Apple sees their way clear to provide a timeout.
I understand exactly what you are saying and am telling you you may have a hardware problem because the buttons aren’t that easy to simultaneously engage in the manner you describe. The best way to be sure this is not the problem is one that will cost you nothing but time-a Genius appt at an Apple Store. They can check the hardware and determine why this rare occurrence is not so rare with you. If your hardware is faulty they well replace your iphone or repair it. If you do not have them check this, over time, the hardware can increasing become a greater issue. But your warranty will run out and it will cost you to fix. At a guess, as this or something similar has been the power off method since 2016, it doesn’t seem like it is something they feel a need to address by changing the IOS. I hope you now understand exactly what I am saying.

I understand exactly what you are saying and am telling you you may have a hardware problem because the buttons aren’t that easy to simultaneously engage in the manner you describe. The best way to be sure this is not the problem is one that will cost you nothing but time-a Genius appt at an Apple Store. They can check the hardware and determine why this rare occurrence is not so rare with you. If your hardware is faulty they well replace your iphone or repair it. If you do not have them check this, over time, the hardware can increasing become a greater issue. But your warranty will run out and it will cost you to fix. At a guess, as this or something similar has been the power off method since 2016, it doesn’t seem like it is something they feel a need to address by changing the IOS. I hope you now understand exactly what I am saying.
I just checked my iPhone 8 Plus for comparison. The 8 Plus is running the exact same IOS version (16.2) as the 14 Pro max. I activated the power-off confirmation screen on the 8 Plus by pressing the side button and started a stopwatch. The iPhone 8 Plus's power-off confirmation screen timed out at exactly 30 seconds and displayed the passcode screen. 20 seconds later the screen turned off completely. This is the proper behaviour. I'll call Apple support tomorrow to find out why the 14 Pro Max is not behaving the same way.

I just checked my iPhone 8 Plus for comparison. The 8 Plus is running the exact same IOS version (16.2) as the 14 Pro max. I activated the power-off confirmation screen on the 8 Plus by pressing the side button and started a stopwatch. The iPhone 8 Plus's power-off confirmation screen timed out at exactly 30 seconds and displayed the passcode screen. 20 seconds later the screen turned off completely. This is the proper behaviour. I'll call Apple support tomorrow to find out why the 14 Pro Max is not behaving the same way.
What did they tell you about the issue?

What did they tell you about the issue?
I spoke with Apple Support by phone where it was quickly escalated to a higher tier of support. They confirmed the behaviour was inappropriate and likely only fixable with an IOS update although it's curious my iPhone 8 Plus with exactly the same IOS 16.2 does not show the issue. An interesting test if you have an iPhone 14 Pro Max, there are two ways to initiate a power-off. One is to long-press the side button and a volume button together which brings up the slider to confirm power-off. The other is to open Settings/General and scroll to the bottom and tap "Shutdown". That also displays the power-off confirmation slider but that one times out properly while the button-generated one does not. Those two should behave the same but do not.