What's new

iPad dead battery

handy

Reaction score
Won’t turn on won’t charge. Hard restart doesn’t work. Any ideas. iPad Air. Any help would be great thanks

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Try rebooting it:
Press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it appears, let go of both. If it worked as intended, your iPad will power up on it’s own.

We have a sister forum:
www.ipadforums.net
with iPad as main topic. You’ll get help there as well.

Try changing your battery or your charging port. It does not cost more than SGD 60 here in Singapore

Most of the time the battery is not the reason for problems like these.
Additionally, you'll void the warranty, if you do this yourself, or get this done by someone else but Apple. Changing the battery is not as easy as it is with other smartphones. It's easily possible to damage something else in the process.

Won’t turn on won’t charge. Hard restart doesn’t work. Any ideas. iPad Air. Any help would be great thanks

That's virtually unheard of. However, methinks one of several things may have happened to cause this problem:

I'm going to assume the iPad ran down completely to the point where it wouldn't even turn on at all, and may need to be plugged in and left for a while before it will come back to life.

* Personal experience: I've had to do this for clients in the past - some believe it's okay to run their iPad or iPad minis till the battery completely runs out of juice! (No, I'm not insinuating that's what you did).

However;

Is the Apple charger damaged in any way? Charger cable? Each of those components should be tested individually, to ensure neither of them a damaged, and preventing the iPad Air from charging.

I'm presuming you're using genuine Apple products to charge the device, right?

Has the charging port been damaged in any way? Perhaps by a badly designed third party docking device? Has the iPad Air been accidentally dropped recently, or otherwise suffered a hard knock (pulling at straws here).

After all the above have been checked, and if you've left it plugged in for a few hours and then tried the "press the home button and power button" re initialisation procedure to no effect, then your only other option is Apple if it's still under warranty, or otherwise a third party repair facility for a new battery - of course assuming it isn't that 1 in a million "Logic board" failure scenario.

p.s. Has someone doused it in liquids behind your back, without telling you? Oh, and take a careful look into the charging port again - I recall a problem which was entirely caused by foreign objects stuffed into the charging port (don't ask).

Once removed, the device started charging and consequently working again. Just my 2 pence worth - hope this helps [emoji108][emoji18]