What's new

iOS 6.1.1 update for iPhone 4S reportedly causes battery problems

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
$IMG_0028_610x429.jpg

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]i[/FONT]OS 6.1.1 just got released this week and was intended to fix a problem users had with the 3G connectivity. But, apparently, all Apple managed to do is patch up one issue and another one immediately popped up.

According to some users who have been complaining on the Apple Forums and Support Communities, the update now messes with their battery and drastically drains the power out of it. Here are a few comments from the very active topic “My iPhone 4S battery life is terrible, Even with iOS 6.1.1”:

“The battery life on my iPhone 4S was fine with iOS 6.1, but is depleting quickly with 6.1.1. The iPhone is now constant​​
ly warm. I would normally go get home and have about 65% charge, it is barely 2 hours into the day and the phone is aleady at 65%.”

Or

“My iPhone 4S was FINE until 6.1.1. Now losing 10% battery per hour in STANDBY. I even disabled most of the services to no avail. REALLY APPLE? Fingers crossed for 6.1.2 SOON!”

One of the commenters dismissed the problem by saying that every time the iOS gets an update some battery drainage problems are reported. Every new version of the operating system comes with its own set of problems. For iOS 6.1 it’s the inability to allow users to sync their devices with Microsoft Exchange, for example. Although Apple is working on that one, as well. The latest bug was revealed just this week, when it was demonstrated that virtually everybody could by-pass the iPhone lock screen and have access to contacts and photos.

Source: Cnet

I dont remember a firmware where people where not complaining of battery drain issues and then a ios update thats supposed to fix it and never does...

After the last update, I have noticed a " Huge" drain on my battery...I am not a power user by no means, not even close to being one....I cannot make it through the day without re-charging. I hope that this is addressed immediately..

2 hours and 40 minutes of pandora on wifi took me from 97% to 30%. Im pretty sure thats far from normal right?

I notice a slight change from 5.1.1 and 6.1 but not tho the point I would complain about it. I don't like having the percentage up on my status bar because I will always look at it lol. I'm staying with 6.1 👍

Really can't say the battery drains extremely fast yet but the phone is warm constantly which I'm sure will lead to faster battery drain.

I've been having to Re-charge my phone 2-3 times a day now for a while, and it's a brand new phone, so it's not a battery issue. I really don't see a difference either way between the updated 6.1.1 version, but I hope Apple comes up with an answer soon. I never had this problem with my old iphone 3GS prior to upgrading to the iphone 4S.

I've been having to Re-charge my phone 2-3 times a day now for a while, and it's a brand new phone, so it's not a battery issue. I really don't see a difference either way between the updated 6.1.1 version, but I hope Apple comes up with an answer soon. I never had this problem with my old iphone 3GS prior to upgrading to the iphone 4S.

Make sure you calibrate your battery rather than letting it drain to 20% and charging it constantly. If you're an avid user or your phone is abused in terms of battery usage, drain it completely once a week or every 2 weeks to keep the battery calibrated. Otherwise, you're just wasting your battery's potential.

Make sure you calibrate your battery rather than letting it drain to 20% and charging it constantly. If you're an avid user or your phone is abused in terms of battery usage, drain it completely once a week or every 2 weeks to keep the battery calibrated. Otherwise, you're just wasting your battery's potential.

He's right but it's not a significant amount of difference tho remember its two processors running on one small battery I suggest mophie

Tapatalking up in ya

He's right but it's not a significant amount of difference tho remember its two processors running on one small battery I suggest mophie

Tapatalking up in ya

For a ton of usage, I second the Mophie, more specifically the Powerstation. Or you can opt for a generic brand. There're quite a few on Amazon that have some decent or great ratings. But nevertheless, it's still optimal to calibrate your battery to get the most out of it. Sometimes that 5% can make a difference in situations.