What's new

iOS 5 GM.

Mourningsend

Reaction score
How do Windows users update to iOS 5 GM? I am on iTunes Beta 7, cannot get Beta 9 because it is .dmg.

:s?

there is only another 6 days until its officially released any way (12th October)

once you have itunes 10.5 beta 7 (beta 9 is osx only) you need to obtain a copy of the ios5 restore file make sure its the .ipsw file. Google is your friend its out there.

once its downloaded open itunes and plug in your phone.
Select your iphone on the left pane.
press and hold shift while you click on the restore button. this will bring up a window to select .ipsw file you downloaded.
iTunes will now walk you through the rest.

If your not comfortable doing this or have never done anything like this in the past i strongly suggest that you wait until Wednesday.

Mourningsend said:
How do Windows users update to iOS 5 GM? I am on iTunes Beta 7, cannot get Beta 9 because it is .dmg.

:s?

The simple and easy way is to download transmac it will convert the .dmg file into the ipsw.

ITunes beta 7 is the one for windows, beta 9 is for Mac and I'm not sure if there is a way to convert .dmg into .exe file, the possibility to get not compatible error is high.

Last edited:
bab2010 said:
ITunes beta 7 is the one for windows, beta 9 is for Mac and I'm not sure if there is a way to convert .dmg into .exe file, the possibility to get not compatible error is high.

You won't get a error from beta 7 for windows. It still allows you to load the iOS 5 ipsw. In order to get that iOS 5 seed you have to convert that .dmg to the ipsw using transmac which is a free download and has a 15 day trial but you don't actually need to register for that single usage.
This is how I prepped my device for ios5