What's new

iOS 5 custom ringtones no where to be found

notchstang92

Reaction score
I synced them with itunes and now I don't see them anywhere. Even my tones that I loaded on iOS 4 are gone. Anyone have any ideas? They sync fine, but don't show up on the phone.

I have the same issue, can see them in iTunes but not on my phone..

I had no such problems. I can see all my custom ringtones.

Or am I missing something? Are the custom tones some other place?

So where are they located? They are not in my list and here is no cust ringtone field like I had on ios 4

What i did to get them working again, even though they were there on my phone in iTunes "ringtones" (But weren't showing on the Phone itself) was to delete them all from the phone (I had an actual backup of all my custom tones) and then dragged them to the Library. Then from there in to "Ringtones under my phone in Devices. Synced and all is good again.

I'm quiet sure if you don't have a backup of these you can drag them from out of iTunes, Device, Your iPhone to say your desktop first and then try the way i did it above.

Hope this helps. And it's strange that this should of happened in the first place but it's fixed for me now :)

Last edited:
I tried dragging them right to the phone when it is connected to iTunes. It didn't work. Basically the ringtones sync fine, but they are on he phone which makes no sense to me. I'm really aggravated as this was one of my favorite new features on ios5.

Copy them to desktop delete them from iTunes reinstall them into iTunes under ringtones sync them to phone

Thanks, that worked for me too. I can see all the ringtones and select them as needed. Now another issue is that the custom tones don't work. The phone still uses the default tones for everything except the ringtone for phone calls.

Be sure you click on your iphone then ringtones and then sync ringtones. You can chose either all ringtones or selected ringtones.

Well now they all work except the one that means you sent a text message. That's still default. All the custom tones work and I didn't do anything different.

Anyone else notice of you are on a call and you get a text or some alert you hear the tone through the call?

Uncheck 'sync ringtones' under iphone and hit 'apply' and let it sync. Once completed re-check 'sync ringtones' and hit 'apply' and it syncs again putting the ringtones back on the phone! Hey presto. This seems to be the fix that most people in forums with this problem have used to solve the problem. It worked for me. Now I have Hardcastle and McCormick theme song back!

adamfletcher1 said:
Uncheck 'sync ringtones' under iphone and hit 'apply' and let it sync. Once completed re-check 'sync ringtones' and hit 'apply' and it syncs again putting the ringtones back on the phone! Hey presto. This seems to be the fix that most people in forums with this problem have used to solve the problem. It worked for me. Now I have Hardcastle and McCormick theme song back!

The problem is when I do that it wants to delete everything else off my iPhone including songs and videos. All I want to do is get my ringtones back. Any ideas how to get ringtones back without losing everything