What's new

iOS 4.2.1

jd90

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday, I decided to upgrade my iPhone 3G (not knowing this OS was incompatible with my model) to iOS 4.3, and, obviously since it's incompatible, my phone's now stuck in recovery mode and I don't know how to get back to the older iOS. Can anybody give me clear instructions, i.e. in plain English - layman's terms, if you will - on how to get back? Thanks in advance.

How did you download 4.3 for a 3G? I was sure apple didn't release 4.3 for the 3G. Are you sure its defiantly a 3G and not 3GS?

What error codes (if any) are you getting? You can also download something called tinyumbrella to try 'kick it out of recovery'

If it is a 3G you can download the 3.1.3 firmware for the 3G below

iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

Then get you phone in DFU mode (plenty of video guides on YouTube) and plug it into iTunes. Hold shift when clicking on restore and choose the file you've just downloaded. You may be stuck in recovery mode when it's finished restoring but that's normal. You can use tinyumbrella to 'kick it out of recovery'...

How did you download 4.3 for a 3G? I was sure apple didn't release 4.3 for the 3G. Are you sure its defiantly a 3G and not 3GS?

What error codes (if any) are you getting? You can also download something called tinyumbrella to try 'kick it out of recovery'

If it is a 3G you can download the 3.1.3 firmware for the 3G below

iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

Then get you phone in DFU mode (plenty of video guides on YouTube) and plug it into iTunes. Hold shift when clicking on restore and choose the file you've just downloaded. You may be stuck in recovery mode when it's finished restoring but that's normal. You can use tinyumbrella to 'kick it out of recovery'...

No, definitely a 3G. I used the update tool on iTunes (running it on PC if it makes a difference) and it gives me 1015 error code. It actually came with 4.1 installed. Thanks, I'll give this a try.

Keep getting 1015 when I try that. I updated my iTunes software to the latest version. So I can't downgrade because it won't let me, and I can't upgrade because the OS is incompatible...

If you follow the steps in my first post you will be able to downgrade your 3G no problem. 3G's don't require any verification form apple to restore to an earlier firmware.

Can I ask how you know it's a 3G and not a 3GS...?

I know it's not a 3GS because it says on the box. And I'll give it another go. Maybe I did a step wrong.

Is there any way you'd be able to get me back onto 4.2? the one you found me'll do, but I'd prefer to have the one I got it with (from a second hand shop - they must've upgraded the software).

They may not have released it for the 3G, but for some reason iTunes was allowing me to install it on my phone.. until it failed, obviously.. and I tried both of those files a few times now, always tells me the 1015 again, and the Apple support page says that code means you're not allowed to downgrade. I regret updating..

By the way, sorry for being such a pain and thanks for the help!

Last edited:
No worries. Well if somehow iTunes let you install 4.3 on a 3G then I would get on the phone to apple.

Also as I've already said 3G's are simple to downgrade. All you need to do is get it in DFU and hold shift while clicking restore and choose any firmware file you want. It's only later model 3GS's and 4G's that need verification from apple.

Have you tried tinyumbrella yet? Im still not convinced, you've either got a 3GS or your not on 4.3...

No worries. Well if somehow iTunes let you install 4.3 on a 3G then I would get on the phone to apple.

Also as I've already said 3G's are simple to downgrade. All you need to do is get it in DFU and hold shift while clicking restore and choose any firmware file you want. It's only later model 3GS's and 4G's that need verification from apple.

Have you tried tinyumbrella yet? Im still not convinced, you've either got a 3GS or your not on 4.3...

I'm definitely on 4.3, because I was on 4.2.1 before I upgraded my software. And I definitely have a 3G because it said on the sign, and on the box (probably important to remember I bought from a second hand electronics shop).

I'll keep trying.

EDIT - I keep getting the same 1015 message every time I try to install the older software, which I got from the links you posted above.

Last edited:
may be I meet the same question,upgrade the 3gs phone to ios 4.2.1 ,then the phone can not recignize the sim card but wifi can be used. will try to use the above method to jailbreak it .lol

may be I meet the same question,upgrade the 3gs phone to ios 4.2.1 ,then the phone can not recignize the sim card but wifi can be used. will try to use the above method to jailbreak it .lol

Sounds like you were unlocked then when you upgraded you lost the unlock so that's why the sim is not recognised...