What's new

ios 4.03, 11/3

Yep 4.3's expected release date for all iPhones except verzion is the 11th. Also the 3G and iPod touch second gen won't be getting it...

Yep 4.3's expected release date for all iPhones except verzion is the 11th. Also the 3G and iPod touch second gen won't be getting it...

Gaz.... I need your advice again. I have iOS 4.1 on my iPhone4 and would like to upgrade to 4.3 due to the new Hotspot capability. Question: just how big are these iOS upgrades? I have a relatively slow broadband capability (around 1.5 Mbps). Will it take me forever to download these new iOS versions? AND........... in your opinion, are these upgrades really stable? I've read horror stories from users after iOS upgrades. Your comments please. Thanks.

Gaz.... I need your advice again. I have iOS 4.1 on my iPhone4 and would like to upgrade to 4.3 due to the new Hotspot capability. Question: just how big are these iOS upgrades? I have a relatively slow broadband capability (around 1.5 Mbps). Will it take me forever to download these new iOS versions? AND........... in your opinion, are these upgrades really stable? I've read horror stories from users after iOS upgrades. Your comments please. Thanks.

The last one (4.2.1) was about 100MB i think...

The last update was 624mb. At 1.5mbps it would take you about an hour to download it.

The updates are very stable. Each one goes through at least a month of beta before being released on iTunes to non apple devs. I've only ever had a problem with the 4.2.1 update in my experience but that was down to iTunes installing the update to the phone rather than a problem with the update itself...

At 1.5mbps it would only take about 5 minutes 624mb/1.5mbps u can get the wifi hotspot with mywi without upgrading... Also ull probably have to wait for another jailbreak to come out if it jailbroke now....

1.5mbps Internet speed doesn't mean you can download at 1.5mbps. I'm not an expert so I don't know why that is but max download speed at 1.5mbps is around 1mb every 5/6 seconds...

what if you are all ready JB? can you upgrade or wait for a new JB?

You can upgrade but loose the jailbreak until the new one is released. Or wait until the new jailbreak is released then upgrade and rejaibreak straight away. Choice is yours...

All phones except Verizon? Guessing it has to do with the CDMA. Heard any speculation on when the Verizon phone will get it?

To quote from appleinsider.com...

Apple may be waiting for Qualcomm to deliver a specific update for the chip before integrating the new firmware into the iOS release for that model.

Apple hasn't announced a date for the Verizon iPhone release version of iOS 4.3, but it is likely to follow shortly after the initial release for GSM iPhones because the new build packs a variety of features and improvements.

Thanks for that, gaz. That makes sense. I didn't even take the different chipset into account, but that would actually fit into the reasoning rather well.