What's new

iOS 12

brixtonboy

Reaction score
Since having to go form 10 to 11 everything is functioning fine. I decided to remove some apps and songs that are rarely used. That's when l saw IOS 12 was already available, has anyone with a 5s install it?
Are we going back to the time when we did not wish
to lose iOS 10 ? B.B.

I installed 12 on Monday and it seems to be working fine. Although I know that was not your question.
I also deleted a few apps I never used and it seems to be moving a bit faster.

The only complaint is that the battery only lasts about 6 -7 hours before it reaches the 20% threshold and it slows down.

I called Apple Care yesterday and they ran an online test and said that there was a legitimate problem with the battery. So, I made an appointment for Monday to get it replaced..........before the replacement warranty runs out at the end of the year.

Otherwise, life is good.

Maybe this gives you a reason to get a new XR...........:)

I installed 12 on Monday and it seems to be working fine. Although I know that was not your question.
I also deleted a few apps I never used and it seems to be moving a bit faster.

The only complaint is that the battery only lasts about 6 -7 hours before it reaches the 20% threshold and it slows down.

I called Apple Care yesterday and they ran an online test and said that there was a legitimate problem with the battery. So, I made an appointment for Monday to get it replaced..........before the replacement warranty runs out at the end of the year.

Otherwise, life is good.

Maybe this gives you a reason to get a new XR...........:)

I have been told by my girlfriend that she is getting a 7 something and I can have her 6 something. What she does not realise is l'm happy with the 5s. Until a service does not function on my iOS and it can't be updated l will use it. I didn't iOS 12 would be functional on the 5s.
Happy days B.B.

I’ve read elsewhere that I can delete enough apps to free up the necessary storage to be able to download 12. If I delete the apps and then reinstall them after I’ve updated to 12, would I lose anything from the apps? I’ve not tried that before.

Thanks.

Itf these are apps where you login after installing, such as Google Photos, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, Flickr, ..., your content will be there again after removing and reinstalling them.

Also, if you do the update through iTunes on your computer you'll need less free space on your iPhone since the download and preparation take place on the computer not the iPhone.

Last edited:
Also, if you do the update through iTunes on your computer you'll need less free space on your iPhone since the download and preparation take place on the computer not the iPhone.

I understand this, scifan57, but I’m unable to do it thru iTunes because I can’t get past the obstacle of the un-transferred purchases.

Thanks for your input, J.A.. here’s a follow-on question. I think I know the answer but checking to be sure - when I’m in Settings>General>Storage there’s a place to click to offload a given app. I’m assuming if I offload, I’ll only be offloading the app size and not the total of app size plus documents, etc. Am I right?

Offloading an app will delete the app, but keep it’s documents and data. When you reinstall the app, these files will be there again. Just make sure the app is still in the App Store.

Excellent. Thanks very much. I really appreciate the help I’ve received on this forum. You, scifan57, and others have all been great to deal with.

Have a beautiful day......

You’re welcome. I hope you’ll manage to update your iPhone.

Excellent. Thanks very much. I really appreciate the help I’ve received on this forum. You, scifan57, and others have all been great to deal with.

Have a beautiful day......
You're welcome. I hope your update succeeds.

I updated my iPhone 7, via iTunes, from iOS 11.x.x to iOS 12.0 earlier this week and initially had the same issue as when I updated from 10.x.x to 11.0. The phone locked up during the install and I ended up having to restore the phone as new (including the updated OS) then restore from a backup. The whole process took about 2+ hours but the phone was fine after that. The only additional issue I had this time is that "Hey Siri" stopped working even though all the settings were correct. I had to refresh network settings to get it working again. As a result, I lost all the stored WiFi networks and passwords but no big deal as I keep a list of all I've ever connected to in my computer and in the iPhone's Notes. So far I haven seen any issues with battery life and the phone does seem a bit "Snappier"

Everything went well, updating to IOS 12. I’m lost in how the shortcut app works? Apple finally lost their simplicity rep, at least with this app? Feels like an Android, multi layer task. That I will spend days trying to figure out? Other than that, 12 rocks!!

Well it turns my girlfriend didn't get an iPhone 7 something it is an 8plus and my present for being so nice is 6plus which will not restore as new.
iOS 12 and my PC getting to me.