What's new

iOS 11 is Draining Some Device Batteries Very Fast

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS 11 is draining batteries very fast.JPG

While it initially seemed that the launch of iOS last week was pretty uneventful as Apple software launches go, some of you may have noticed that it appears to be draining your iPads and iPhones way too fast. While this is normal when a new iOS version is launched, and something that usually settles down within a couple of days, this latest issue with iOS 11 seems to be sticking around a little longer than expected.

BGR writes that many users are experiencing this widespread problem, and that according to mobile security firm Wandera, iOS 11 is draining iPhone and iPad batteries more than twice as fast as iOS 10 did. Wandera arrived at this information by looking at “a subset of 50,000 moderate-to-heavy iPhone and iPad users” on its networks who were running iOS 11 and iOS 10, and comparing the average battery decay rate since iOS 11 was launched.

Wandera’s data shows that it takes an iOS 10 device 240 minutes on average to drop to 0% battery life from 100%, and just 96 minutes for an iOS 11 device, which represents a drop-off of 60%. Fingers crossed that this is something that can be solved with a software fix. Would you have upgraded to iOS 11 if you’d known that your battery life was going to take such a big hit?

Source: iOS 11 is draining iPhone and iPad batteries more than twice as fast as iOS 10

I saw a post about this on YouTube, matter of fact there are several. It seems that the new Siri is a large part of the draining, with all the controls and areas it wants to have access to, to do its new learning traffic was touted. I turned a lot of my Siri access things off, and saw a big difference. I’ve not tried the other things it said to look at, because I wanted to try one thing at a time, to confirm if it is or isn’t part of the draining. This is the one I watched, but once you pull it up, you will see many more in the list below it.

I have noticed the faster battery drain on an iPad, so it is not just me! (No iphone as yet to verify, but working on it...)

I saw a post about this on YouTube, matter of fact there are several. It seems that the new Siri is a large part of the draining, with all the controls and areas it wants to have access to, to do its new learning traffic was touted. I turned a lot of my Siri access things off, and saw a big difference. I’ve not tried the other things it said to look at, because I wanted to try one thing at a time, to confirm if it is or isn’t part of the draining. This is the one I watched, but once you pull it up, you will see many more in the list below it.

Thanks for that, very useful, I will start with turning off a lot of the Siri stuff!

I have noticed the faster battery drain on an iPad, so it is not just me! (No iphone as yet to verify, but working on it...)

It’s definitely there in the IPhone. The 7+ is supposed to be pretty good at not giving as fast battery drain, but I’ve not had mine long enough other than I know it doesn’t drain as fast as the 5s I had before. I know, I should have waited and gotten the 8+, but didn’t have a choice. After buying the 5s the day it came out, and not having any problems, no cracks or chips, the battery finally was just giving up the ghost.

Last edited:
IMG_1506115921.835563.jpg

8 minutes was unlocking to look at my steps and stairs for the day. Already down 3%

Edit: my 5S (on 10.3.3) which always drained faster than my 6S Plus
IMG_1506115931.886318.jpg

View attachment 36343
8 minutes was unlocking to look at my steps and stairs for the day. Already down 3%

Edit: my 5S (on 10.3.3) which always drained faster than my 6S Plus
View attachment 36344

Yeah, the 5s was terrible for me. Compared to the 4, it was miserable at times. I use a lot of weather apps, and have a lot of pictures, and just a lot of apps that run in the background. There at the ending before trading it in, I was having to charge several times a day, and when watching severe weather in my area, I had to have it plugged it. I love the 7+ for many reasons, the camera and battery usage, until now anyway was the top reasons.

I am definitely happy with the 7+. The bigger screen, better speed, the two lens on the camera, less battery draw, a lot of things. And despite the faster battery draw down, which I’m sure Apple is aware of now, and working on a solution, I am tickled with happiness of many of the new features in IOS 11. I even swear and my son does too, that the display seems even better after the update. I’m just getting into figuring out all the new features, and deciding what I like and what I’m so so with.

lmccluer, thanks for the video. I've gone through it and applied all the settings which might help and are appropriate to my uses. Will see if it makes a difference.

Whew, misery must love company. I'm in the same boat with my 7+. Much faster battery drain and I have always had a lot of stuff shut off unless I'm going to use the app, etc.
I do like iOS 11 and hope Apple cures the battery drain problem quickly.

Mine sat all night, now on 72%.

Also found another glitch, no usage or stay time

I think this is one of the biggest, if not the biggest update in IOS I’ve seen since I started using an iPhone, and I started out with a 3, then 3s, 4s, 5s and now the 7+. I cannot remember I’ve where there wasn’t some glitches, and definitely updates after the original update occurred. And I swore when one of the updates when I first had my 5s, it was so bad I wanted to get another phone, an android. But a week or so later they sent out an update and all was well in the IP world once again. I’m willing to bet they will send out an update as soon as they can figure out how to turn something off that isn’t needed, or at least something to give us a choice. I’m a lot more happy after turning off some of the Siri changes, which isn’t too hard, so I’ll be like others, watching and waiting to see what happens. iPhone isn’t the only one to experience groans when updates aren’t exactly what consumers expected or wanted. And hey, at least ours aren’t catching on fire!

Okay, since turning off the Siri Suggestions in Search and Suggestions in Look Up my battery life has improved very significantly. It may not be what it was in iOS 10, but since I'm not a heavy user I can live with it. I hope that a future update will resolve these issues for everyone without having to go through all these tweaks. It's a shame that I can't make use of new Siri features without suffering such a huge hit on my battery.

Nice one DaveM...never thought to look at that...didn't know it existed...guess I'm going to have to look much more closely at everything on my phone...Thanks ! :)