What's new

Internet usage restrictions

billybob00

Reaction score
This is gonna seem like a strange request, but the Internet is full of strange things, right?

I'm trying to find a way to cut down on the time that I spend using the internet. Call it an internet addiction if you will. This is becoming harder to do with the Internet on mobile phones. Now, I know the obvious answer is to not get a phone w/ data at all -- however, my job/life requires it, so that is not an option.

I have found some Applications that will attempt to block you (e.g. TimeLock), but they all have their drawbacks (and really, the target people are kids, so adults aren't in mind when it is designed)

I'm essentially looking for the following:
-be able to block all Internet usage from certain time periods during the day. This must block both wifi and 3G.
-As an alternative, blocking access to certain apps (safari, YouTube) would be acceptable as well.
-Another alternative: block all access to the phone during certain hours

So basically, I need the flexibility of having full control over the phone during the day when I need it, but be able to limit myself at night when I don't.

One of the biggest issues is with Apple. They really block the developer from doing specific things.

I think to really accomplish what I want, it would have to be a jailbroken app... but I doubt there is too high of a demand for an app like this, especially in the jailbrake community :)

The tricky thing is saving you from yourself. If there's a back door (ie you can just change the time, remove the program, etc) it's not gonna work.

Is anyone aware of such a thing? Any ideas? I fully understand the root of the problem, but doing it on sheer will power alone is difficult. Sometimes you need an extra boost, and this would be ideal.

the simplest thing anyone could suggest is to simply turn off the 3g data. Hearing from your stand point it also involves self control. If you go into settings>general>network>turn Cellular data off.

You're right.. its all about self control, which I lack at this point.
The simple solution of turning 3G off won't work... I could (and would) always turn it back on :)

I need something that will protect me from myself. i.e. I need something more than the simple solution

If you have a partner at home, they can enable restrictions on the phone. You will require a 4 digit passcode to get into certain apps of your choice. Safari and YouTube for example.

You can enable restrictions by going to Settings > General > Restrictions...

The simple solution of turning 3G off won't work... I could (and would) always turn it back on :)

I need something that will protect me from myself. i.e. I need something more than the simple solution

if you want more than that why not switch to a basic phone. you're only making it bad for yourself. have you even tried to turn the cell data off? have you ever tried resisting turning it on? there is a app in cydia the does exactly what you want. the tweak is called data blocker. hope this helps you

Do you have a home phone? If so just forward you're calls to you're home phone and leave you're iPhone in the car or at work. But it all boils down to self control. Anything you can do to stop yourself, can be undone when that itch gets too bad. But if you leave it somewhere else there's a little more work that you have to do so you can break you're promise to yourself. :p

Isn't there anyway you could call your carrier and ask them to stop your data service? Or you can always forward all your phone calls to another phone number and remove the sim from the iPhone and give it to somebody who's not living with you. But then you will not be able to make phone call using your sim card and you will not be able to receive and send SMS with your sim card as well.