What's new

Internationaly unlocked???

Madeyes

Reaction score
hiya guys.
I was under the impression that the iPhone 4 was internationaly unlocked eccept if your with AT&T.
I'm with O2 in the UK but when i put my Turkcel Sim card in it won't register it. My iPhone 3G was unlocked by O2 but they tell me they can't do this on the Iphone 4
After many years of Jailbreaking & unlocking my previous iphones i was looking fwd to having this one work from scratch.
Can anyone shed some light on this please?
Cheers.
Rob

you have o buy it directly from apple. if you got it from o2 or any other carrier they lock it to their network.

i got mine from apple store uk and its unlocked i use o2 and cyta in cyprus they both work fine

Last edited:
So is there any way i can get it unlocked without Jailbreaking it?

So is there any way i can get it unlocked without Jailbreaking it?

no there used to be a way but the dev team made it so you have to jailbreak in order to bring up the jailbreak numbers and show apple every one does it so dont cripple the phones

Great, £600 down the toilet.
Good work Apple & O2.
Cheers for the info Palio.

Great, £600 down the toilet.
Good work Apple & O2.
Cheers for the info Palio.

i use o2 but i got it directly from apple and cut my o2 pay as you go down to size. because directly from apple it was sim free and cost me 600 pounds for the 32GB :/

i think o2 will eventually unlock the phones for contract users at some point i think they where doing it for the 3gs if i am not mistaken? ever since the 2007 i get them sim free or nothing so i dont know its just something i hear online that o2 and other carriers worldwide will do for free or for a fee as long as you sign that you will pay off the contract and not cancel it. afaik, dont hold me to that though because im not 100% sure on it.

My 3G was O2 Pay as you go & they unlocked it via itunes & apple.
I asked them to unlock this one which is also pay as u go but they said they're not authourised.
All you had to do on the 3G was email them & they would do it for you.
I've hopefully sorted it now with my local carrier so hopefully when i pick it up tomorrow it'll be fine.
Not thanks to Apple & O2

It's easier to just get it sim free then add your own sim rather then run around trying to get it unlocked later

A bit hard to do in Northern Cyprus.
That's why i bought mine in the UK.

A bit hard to do in Northern Cyprus.
That's why i bought mine in the UK.

i dont know re, i am from south cyprus. but we have it for 1300 or so euros :S i got two for that much in england lol

in the south we bring the phones from greece dont they bring iphones from turkey also into the north side?

Yeah they do bring the iphone 4 over from Turkey.
They can unlock them too but they couldn't unlock mine.
They said a month maybe.
Pfft : /

Yeah they do bring the iphone 4 over from Turkey.
They can unlock them too but they couldn't unlock mine.
They said a month maybe.
Pfft : /

oh so turkey does not provide them sim free?

i have gone into the north occupied areas of cyprus many times but never bought a phone so i dont know how it works.

are you in the uk now or cyprus?

Cyprus.
Nothing i can do now but wait untill they sort out an unlock from O2 or Turkcel.

Cyprus.
Nothing i can do now but wait untill they sort out an unlock from O2 or Turkcel.

you should of got it directly from apple, they have them sim free 600 pounds for the 32GB, thats where i got mine, not from o2, i use o2 and cyta but i got the phone sim free from apple uk, cambridge then put the sim inside. but i had to cut both my sims to size.

i am on holiday in the uk atm but i am coming home to cyprus on the 22nd. though i am in the south and i was traveling a lot from the palace crossing into the north.

going off topic a little bit, do you hope they re unite cyprus or do you hope that the trnc is recognised and we have two states?

I'm not sure & i don't want to get into a political arguement because most Greek Cypriots i've met (by most i mean 99.999%) Believe they are right & there's no other opinion.
As someone impartial i have my own opinions & i'd rather not get into it really.
It generally causes bad feeling.