What's new

International Travel with 4S

fshotsy

Reaction score
Reading other threads (straight form sprints website) about having your sim unlocked to use local sims while traveling outside the US. Some days you will read responses which say (info via sprint international respresentatives) yes you can if your account is in good standing for 90 days. Other days it will read there is no way possible sprint will unlock sim card regardless of account standing.

Has anyone on this forum purchased their phone after 11/11/2011, traveled outside the US, popped in a foriegn countries local sim card and with positive results?

Thank you.

I am in St. Kitts & Nevis in the Caribbean and I want to use my iphone 4s through the local provider here digicel. The Sprint rep who sold me the phone at the store told me the phone was unlocked, but apparently it wasn't. I called Sprint yesterday and they directed me to the international department where they had me answer a couple of questions and the rep filled out paperwork as required by apple to unlock the phone. They said that I should expect an email within 48 hours via email from Apple on how to unlock the phone. I will keep this forum posted.

I am in St. Kitts & Nevis in the Caribbean and I want to use my iphone 4s through the local provider here digicel. The Sprint rep who sold me the phone at the store told me the phone was unlocked, but apparently it wasn't. I called Sprint yesterday and they directed me to the international department where they had me answer a couple of questions and the rep filled out paperwork as required by apple to unlock the phone. They said that I should expect an email within 48 hours via email from Apple on how to unlock the phone. I will keep this forum posted.

Apple will email you details on how to unlock your phone? Are you sure? Hmmmmm!

iHolophyte

iHolophyte said:
Apple will email you details on how to unlock your phone? Are you sure? Hmmmmm!

iHolophyte

Sounds strange to me as well?? Apple going to send an email??nothing to do with them

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Apple wont email whoever the network provider will do though. Thats what happened with me. Recieved an email with instructions to plug my phone into itunes and put any network SIM and the phone will complete its unlocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there an unlock code given with this or are you saying each and everyone one of us could get a sim plug into iTunes and unlock as simple as that?

iHolophyte

Nono.. I had to ring up my provider (tesco UK). Give them all my details and IMEI number. There was a fee of £20. It also took 20 odd days to unlock too. They pass on your details to apple and they unlock the phone. Then they notify your network its unlocked and they contact you via email or txt message.

Nono.. I had to ring up my provider (tesco UK). Give them all my details and IMEI number. There was a fee of £20. It also took 20 odd days to unlock too. They pass on your details to apple and they unlock the phone. Then they notify your network its unlocked and they contact you via email or txt message.

Thanks for the breakdown. Not as easy as ABC then (laughs out loud) good to know.

iHolophyte

Just to give everyone an update, I GOT MY IPHONE 4s WORKING ON DIGICEL IN ST. KITTS & NEVIS. I called Sprint and the rep walked me though the process. He had me pop out my Sprint sim card, then pop in the international sim (Digicel in my case) and then turn off the phone. I turned the phone on and then waited while the iphone recognized the international sim. Then the iphone needed to be activated and I chose the option of activating through wi-fi and it worked. So glad it did. Just a little glimpse of what the weather is like here:
mail

Looks Luke Australia real nice glad you had it resolved. I will have staff move the thread to international forums as it may help others. Many thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

No problem :) was torture waiting for it to become unlocked but worth it knowing i can put any SIM in my phone

Ma'am can you please elaborate how you did it?
I would like to give it a try.

Just to give everyone an update, I GOT MY IPHONE 4s WORKING ON DIGICEL IN ST. KITTS & NEVIS. I called Sprint and the rep walked me though the process. He had me pop out my Sprint sim card, then pop in the international sim (Digicel in my case) and then turn off the phone. I turned the phone on and then waited while the iphone recognized the international sim. Then the iphone needed to be activated and I chose the option of activating through wi-fi and it worked. So glad it did. Just a little glimpse of what the weather is like here:
mail

Did you have an active Sprint Account when you got this done?
Cause when I tried they said to unlock an iPhone there has to be an active account, if so they can do it.
I don't have an account & I am in India & hence I am ****ed up :(

Just thought id put in my two cents. I got my 4S in mid November and planned on goin to Canada in December. Just before Christmas, I called sprint to ask about unlocking my phone. I have an account in good standing and the representative simply asked for my IMEI. He said it would take 48 hours for unlocking to complete and that I would receive a confirmation email from sprint. Not from apple. I did not have an international sim on hand at the time. Soon after Christmas I flew to Quebec and purchased a local sim. I popped it in and bam, it started workin immediately. So now I have an unlocked iPhone 4S! It should not require anything other than a knowledgeable customer service rep and your IMEI.

Ma'am can you please elaborate how you did it?
I would like to give it a try.

Did you have an active Sprint Account when you got this done?
Cause when I tried they said to unlock an iPhone there has to be an active account, if so they can do it.
I don't have an account & I am in India & hence I am ****ed up :(

It wouldn't have mattered whether or not I had an active Sprint account. The instructions I posted above, were how I got my phone working.