What's new

iMessage suddenly stopped working

ScreamingMimi

Reaction score
I had been texting a friend with an iPhone. All was fine. Then this morning it stopped using iMessage and switched to SMS.

Nothing changed on either phones.

I have done everything I've seen online to fix this. Turned iMessage on and off and reset phone. Logged out of Apple ID, nothing. Turned off SMS, still used it. Reset wifi settings. nothing.

I'm at a loss to figure this out. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm on ATT, not jailbroken. Up to date except latest version with iWatch app.

Thanks

Have you tried iMessaging someone else to see if it happens with other contacts?

If the problem is only with the one friend, the problem could be on your friend's phone. Is iMessage on his phone working?

@Poisonivy @scifan57 Can you believe I don't know anyone else with an iPhone that I can contact today? I'll try tomorrow. I know I have to do that to rule out a problem on my phone.

He says his phone is working but he's one of those annoying people who has zero clue how to use his iphone.

I'll work on alternatives tomorrow. I'm just trying to figure out what could have happened overnight? Very weird.

@Poisonivy @scifan57 Can you believe I don't know anyone else with an iPhone that I can contact today? I'll try tomorrow. I know I have to do that to rule out a problem on my phone.

He says his phone is working but he's one of those annoying people who has zero clue how to use his iphone.

I'll work on alternatives tomorrow. I'm just trying to figure out what could have happened overnight? Very weird.
This sometimes happens with my son and its always when he is away from WiFi and has run out of credit on his phone, It could be something as simple as that.

@Poisonivy I'm sitting in front of my Wifi, I reset my network, and I have tons of cellular time.

It's probably something small but so far nothing I've tried is work. I'm looking for someone who has some out of the box ideas, besides resetting my phone to factory settings.

@Poisonivy I'm sitting in front of my Wifi, I reset my network, and I have tons of cellular time.

It's probably something small but so far nothing I've tried is work. I'm looking for someone who has some out of the box ideas, besides resetting my phone to factory settings.
No I meant your friend might have been away from WiFi.
If I iMessage my son and he's away from WiFi and has no credit he can't iMessage.
My messages to him then show as sms.

I don't know why today would be different but it's possible. I just texted his sister and it worked so something is off on his end.

Now I have to talk him through to figure it out. That'll be fun. LOL. He's one of those guys who has an iPhone and has zero idea how to use it.

I don't know why today would be different but it's possible. I just texted his sister and it worked so something is off on his end.

Now I have to talk him through to figure it out. That'll be fun. LOL. He's one of those guys who has an iPhone and has zero idea how to use it.
That's good then, That's the first thing I do when that happens, If it works with someone else's phone then you know you don't have a problem with yours.
Let us know what the issue was when you get to know.

@Poisonivy the plot thickens.
I texted his sister which used iMessage. When his sister texts him it uses iMessage.

I'm waiting for him to tell me if his is iMessage or SMS.

This is so weird.

@Poisonivy ok. His to me are SMS. Mine to others or iMessage

I turned SMS off and it still sent SMS.

He just told me his phone was slow so something in his end but he wows wifi is fine.

But he's clueless and across the country so not much I can do if it is him. He can't even figure out email on his phone!

Well it sounds like yours is fine which is the main thing, I'm not sure what can be done about his if he is as clueless as you say.

He is. He's had an iPhone for 5 years. Didn't know what the home button was or how to take a screen shot. if I ever figure it out i'll let you know.