What's new

Imessage address

rws

Reaction score
Where does Imessage get it's addressee information. I assumed it was from Contacts but when my wife want to Imsg me it shows the current info in Contacts as well as an old email address that is NOT in Contacts.
Thanks,
Russ

Settings>Messages>send and Receive. Click on that and it will show your iMessage address. For ex. mine says 2 Addresses. clicking on that shows your phone #, email address, or Apple ID and you can check which one you want prioritized.

Bear, Thanks for the reply. I may not have made my question clear. On my wofe's phone when she initiates a new imsg or even an email to me the phone offers up some contact info. The info it is offering contains an old email address that is not in Contacts. Where else would it pull that information from?

Bear, Thanks for the reply. I may not have made my question clear. On my wofe's phone when she initiates a new imsg or even an email to me the phone offers up some contact info. The info it is offering contains an old email address that is not in Contacts. Where else would it pull that information from?
Was that email address ever used to send messages or emails to you or anyone else in the past? Was it ever used as an Apple ID?

The iphone is like an elephant, it never forgets.

Was that email address ever used to send messages or emails to you or anyone else in the past? Was it ever used as an Apple ID?

Yes it was once an active address.Is it because she may have an old email in the Trash or current emails?

Yes it was once an active address.Is it because she may have an old email in the Trash or current emails?
If you go to this Apple page and sign in with your Apple ID and password, you can edit the details associated with your Apple ID, including email addresses. If the old email address is there, you should be able to delete it. Let us know if it works. Apple - My Apple ID

If you go to this Apple page and sign in with your Apple ID and password, you can edit the details associated with your Apple ID, including email addresses. If the old email address is there, you should be able to delete it. Let us know if it works. Apple - My Apple ID

It's clean. Thanks for the help folks. It must be pulling it from some old emails. I will ask her to clean up her email.
Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Russ

Seriously, the phone tries not to forget. Have your wife try this too:
Sometimes when you start a new email message, iOS suggests an email address that's no longer being used, and has already been removed from your Contacts. How can you tell your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to stop using that address when you enter a contact's name? Here are instructions on how to remove this old email address from the list.

First open the Mail app and start a new message. Start to enter the name of the contact. You will see a list of suggestions from contacts and the recently used email addresses.
Tap the blue circle next to the email address you want removed. This will open the Recent screen.

Sometimes when you start a new email message, iOS suggests an email address that's no longer being used, and has already been removed from your Contacts. How can you tell your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to stop using that address when you enter a contact's name? Here are instructions on how to remove this old email address from the list.

First open the Mail app and start a new message. Start to enter the name of the contact. You will see a list of suggestions from contacts and the recently used email addresses.
Tap the blue circle next to the email address you want removed. This will open the Recent screen.

Bear, that's the answer! Got rid of two old email addresses of mine on her phone. Thanks so much!
Russ

Hi -bear7962-
GDsunshine here... Just wanna say thanks for this info [emoji4] it help me too!!! It was centuries lol now just clean all recents ...[emoji106]

Glad to hear it. I had ones that came from two iPhones ago because I used I tunes to set up each succeeding iphone. Sometimes I find it very helpful.