What's new

I'm going back to 4.1...

iGaz

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking of going back to 4.1. I never once had a problem with that firmware and all my tweaks and themes worked fine.

Been having alot of problems with the text and phone apps lately. They would more often than not crash completely or take forever to load up. Also when making a call it would sometimes take over 10 seconds before it started ringing (that's happened before but it was once in a blue moon and only when I had a poor signal). Other apps have also been randomly crashing and taking forever to load. I want my old lockscreen back, I've went blue in the face trying to get it to work ever since 4.2 came along.

Has anyone else had these problems?

With the exception of find my iPhone and the personal hotspot it there really much else I will be missing out on...?

EXCELLENT, gaz....... As I've written so many times, I have 4.1 and would never consider "upgrading." It's solid as a rock, and the only downside is that I can't install an app that requires 4.2. But I don't worry about that anymore!

Question: I thought that once you "upgraded" to a higher firmware version, iTunes wouldn't allow you to go backwards. Is that right?? Thanks.

I'm seriously thinking of going back to 4.1. I never once had a problem with that firmware and all my tweaks and themes worked fine.

Been having alot of problems with the text and phone apps lately. They would more often than not crash completely or take forever to load up. Also when making a call it would sometimes take over 10 seconds before it started ringing (that's happened before but it was once in a blue moon and only when I had a poor signal). Other apps have also been randomly crashing and taking forever to load. I want my old lockscreen back, I've went blue in the face trying to get it to work ever since 4.2 came along.

With the exception of find my iPhone and the personal hotspot it there really much else I will be missing out on...?

really? 4.1? you even had problems with 4.2.1?

never had a problem with any of the 4.XX firmwares so far apart from one of the beta 4.3's i downloaded but betas you expect there to be loads of bugs.

no your not missing on much else... thats about all that was worth upgrading for..

what apps and tweaks dont work for you?

EXCELLENT, gaz....... As I've written so many times, I have 4.1 and would never consider "upgrading." It's solid as a rock, and the only downside is that I can't install an app that requires 4.2. But I don't worry about that anymore!

Question: I thought that once you "upgraded" to a higher firmware version, iTunes wouldn't allow you to go backwards. Is that right?? Thanks.

I had I feeling you would agree with me. Lol. Which app is that? iTunes wont let you downgrade but you can use a programme called tinyumbrella that saves SHSH's (blobs) so that you can. Or if your already jailbroken you can use cydia...

really? 4.1? you even had problems with 4.2.1?

never had a problem with any of the 4.XX firmwares so far apart from one of the beta 4.3's i downloaded but betas you expect there to be loads of bugs.

no your not missing on much else... thats about all that was worth upgrading for..

what apps and tweaks dont work for you?

I didn't really have many problems on 4.2.1. I still can't my lockscreen theme to work correctly but I may try that first.

It's mainly my phone app and the text app. The can take forever to load or just freeze for ages before crashing. I downloaded a free sat nav app that works fine on the 3GS but was constantly crashing on mine. There's been alot of other random crashes. Safari being the one that sticks out the most...

ah the free uk nov one? what cydia apps dont work for you though? found prtty much all of them do on 4.3.3 apart from a few themes and tweaks

That's the one. Safari has just crashed on me just now and is now playing tricks!

All cydia apps/tweaks are working fine with the exception of some lockscree themes and backgrounder that have yet to be updated to be compatible...

I had I feeling you would agree with me. Lol. Which app is that?

The app that doesn't like 4.1 iOS is called Appzilla 2, the 100-1 apps in one app. It's great; I have a 4.1 version of something like it, but I won't sacrifice my 4.1 just to get Appzilla 2.

Well my phone has been behaving itself since I did a restore the other night. I might hold of on 4.1 for a couple days to see if it starts playing up again. I have noticed my availible RAM according to SBsettings is very low (less than 40mb). Although my phone is still running fairly fast...

Yeah, keep us posted on that, gaz..... Although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by doing a "restore" (is that a "restore from backup, within iTunes??) we would like to hear whether your newest version is worth installing.

Yeah, keep us posted on that, gaz..... Although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by doing a "restore" (is that a "restore from backup, within iTunes??) we would like to hear whether your newest version is worth installing.

You can restore two ways. From a backup like you said which puts everything (excluding your apps or passcode if you have one) the way it was before. All your settings etc will be the same and you can resync your apps (with all your game saves) back after the restore. Or you can 'set up as new' which puts your phone back to the way it was when you first got it.

Every restore rewrites the entire iOS to your phone. It solves most random problems (like the ones I was having) if a simple reboot doesn't solve them. When you restore you are forced to update to the latest version (currently 4.3.3) unless you have SHSH's backed up (I know you like hearing about those)...

less then 40? are you using 100 things at once or something? do you close your multi tasking apps? i always make sure i close everything after using it and have everything turned off and i have 243mb memory left

I'm sitting at 122mb just now with safari open and email, iPod, camera and notes sitting in the multitasking bar. Wifi is on and mobile data is off. My phone hasn't been off for weeks unless you count when I restored it a couple days ago...

Thanks again for the "restore" lesson. I suppose I'll never fully understand the Apple iTunes world, but no matter. if I need help on specific items, I know where to go for help!!

And you're right, those SHSH blobs, or whatever. lol....

I've made my mind up and am going to try 4.1 again. I only have 51mb of ram left and there's not that much in my multitasking bar. Off to restore now...