What's new

I'm confused about AirDrop

ardchoille

Reaction score
According to Apple's Continuity web page, WiFi doesn't seem to be needed to use AirDrop.

From Apple: "AirDrop makes sharing files between Mac and iOS devices simple. With just a few clicks on your Mac, you can take a file from any folder and use AirDrop to send it to a nearby Mac or iOS device. And since AirDrop is peer to peer, it works without a Wi-Fi network. It’s perfect for, say, sharing a document with a coworker in the next room or sending a presentation to a client across the table."

However, I can't seem to get AirDrop to work at all without a WiFi network. What am I doing wrong? See the attached screenshots.

ios-screenshot.png

Screen_Shot_2016-10-09_at_2_38_24_PM.png

By the way, if you set up an ad hoc network, which Apple claims will enable you to use AirDrop, Finder will tell you that it is not available.

Both devices MUST be on the same network and have BT enabled.

Yes, wifi and Bluetooth are necessary.

How to...use AirDrop
Well, then Apple should update their webpage.. as it specifically states that AirDrop works without a WiFi network. I guess you can't always rely on the manufacturer's documentation.

Thank you for the confirmation.

EDIT: I've submitted a bug report to Apple via their feedback webpage.

Last edited:
I'm still playing with the ad hoc network. Yes, the phone connects to the computer but doesn't seem to be able to do anything useful as a result.

I'm still playing with the ad hoc network. Yes, the phone connects to the computer but doesn't seem to be able to do anything useful as a result.
Are you referring to your Mac connecting to your iPhone's WiFi hotspot? I never thought of doing that.

That was strange, l thought it would work without wifi, turned it off on my handy and tried to use it, the system turned wifi back on, without me pressing any buttons.
And sent the photo to the iPad.
With wifi turned off on the iPad it would not work.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

Ad-hoc networks still use Wi-Fi antennas and technology to transfer data, my guess is that maybe while both do not need to connected a network to share files wi-fi will still need to be enabled. It will use Bluetooth to check the proximity between devices and connect to each other directly via their integrated Wi-fi antennas to make the file transfer. I've noticed my computer update network settings whenever I use handoff features so if they both have any ties that could be an indicative of my theory. Will update back with a test in a bit.