What's new

If tethering, can I answer a call on any of the networks?

Yes you will be able to answer calls while tethering.

Is it specific to a certain network?
I heard AT&T maybe, but not Verizon/Sprint
Is that correct or will it do it on any network?

Kevinlane said:
Is it specific to a certain network?
I heard AT&T maybe, but not Verizon/Sprint
Is that correct or will it do it on any network?

Answering a call isn't the problem here. Using data while talking is a different thing. Gsm phones do this while CDMA phones will basically put your data on hold. So honestly I don't see it happening.

Like iCrank stated, ATT is a GSM network and is able to handle both in coming voice and Data at the same time. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA and can only utilize either a voice connection or Data connction at the same time. So with ATT you can answer an incomming call while not interrupting your tethering. But with Verizon and Sprint the call will take priority over the data forcing it to be temporarily stopped when an incoming call is received.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes...I have Sprint and you can tether, but when a call comes in...the tethering is interrupted, and you lose tether until the call is done. Tethering will not stop a call from coming in...and once the phone call is done, tethering resumes without having to restart it.

UNLESS you are on WiFi...then you can talk and surf/tether till your hearts content :)

thanks gang, for the good answers.
Seems like the simultaneous data/voice may not be a huge deal.
I may end up trying Sprint (was on AT&T) to keep my bill lower.

The simultaneous voice/data thing is an interesting phenomenon to me. Personally, I enjoy the functionality too much to consider switching from AT&T to Verizon or Sprint. Even though I would like to move back to Verizon, that one feature holds me to AT&T. But, having said that, I don't know one single person who is on Verizon with an iPhone (and I know many) who look at that feature and tell me that they miss it, or that they would consider switching to AT&T to have it.

It's just one of those personal preference things.

SteveNYC said:
But, having said that, I don't know one single person who is on Verizon with an iPhone (and I know many) who look at that feature and tell me that they miss it, or that they would consider switching to AT&T to have it.
Agreed. The AT&T commercials are slick but not very convincing. It is rare when I need it.