What's new

If I purchase an app for my iPhone , do I have to buy it again for my ipad?

MacGuyver

Reaction score
Once an app , or game is bought can I use it one multiple idevices as long as I'm using the same apple ID?

It's a one-time purchase, you don't have to re-purchase as long as you're utilizing the same AppleID. It may or may not show up on your iPad in the AppStore depending on whether it's an iPhone only app or a universal app. If it's an iPhone only app, make sure you change the device type from iPad to iPhone once you're in the AppStore on your iPad

It's a one-time purchase, you don't have to re-purchase as long as you're utilizing the same AppleID. It may or may not show up on your iPad in the AppStore depending on whether it's an iPhone only app or a universal app. If it's an iPhone only app, make sure you change the device type from iPad to iPhone once you're in the AppStore on your iPad

That is good to know. I have heard of many people buying their favourite apps again. Is it wise that several family members are having the same appleID? I am thinking about kids in a family (4-8 year olds) that likes to play their games but are too you to use the phone as a phone?

That is good to know. I have heard of many people buying their favourite apps again. Is it wise that several family members are having the same appleID? I am thinking about kids in a family (4-8 year olds) that likes to play their games but are too you to use the phone as a phone?

Just keep in mind that family members will have to purchase their own copies of apps/games if they set up and use their unique Apple ID.

What you can do, and I wish I had done this, is set everyone in the family up with a unique Apple ID and use that unique Apple ID for icould only. Then have a "group" Apple ID and have everyone use that for their music/apps/movies/etc. at least until apple figures out a way to merge/split apple ids.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF.net

What you can do, and I wish I had done this, is set everyone in the family up with a unique Apple ID and use that unique Apple ID for icould only. Then have a "group" Apple ID and have everyone use that for their music/apps/movies/etc. at least until apple figures out a way to merge/split apple ids.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF.net

Great idea and great advice! Thanks for sharing that, Silverado.

My wife and I share the same iTunes Apple ID. So a purchase is good for us both. We only pay one time for an app or song. Later this year, in iOS 8, they will have Family Share. Up to 6 family members can share the same iTunes purchased list.

What you can do, and I wish I had done this, is set everyone in the family up with a unique Apple ID and use that unique Apple ID for icould only. Then have a "group" Apple ID and have everyone use that for their music/apps/movies/etc. at least until apple figures out a way to merge/split apple ids. Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF.net
Actually, Apple has announced a way for family members to share iTunes content with each other, even though they have separate Apple ID's. It's called family sharing and will be introduced with iOS 8. http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/family-sharing/