What's new

iCloud will not sync with my new contacts? And contact-backup software no-detect?

cmeek223

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am not able to sync my relatively new contacts from my 3GS to iCloud. How do I make sure that the default account that iCloud is backing up my contacts from is, indeed, the account which all my contacts are listed on? I'm somewhat confused; if my *new* contacts can be seen (assuming you're in the 'groups' section of the 'contacts' app) under the account [email protected], then why isn't iCloud sync'ing my new contacts? When I click 'all iCloud', in 'groups' while in 'contacts', obviously I only see the older version of my contact list. Am I missing something here? o_O

Also, Xilisoft iPhone contact manager, CopyTrans nor Cucusoft was able to detect my iPhone. I wanted to manually backup the contact list, then upload it to iCloud, somehow.

iO6

Thanks ;)

Hey, ClavisHon. Yes, the account is defaulted as 'iCloud', per the instructions in the link you posted. I clicked 'backup now' in iCloud's setting and still, I can't see my newer contacts =/

Hey folks,

if my *new* contacts can be seen (assuming you're in the 'groups' section of the 'contacts' app) under the account [email protected], then why isn't iCloud sync'ing my new contacts? When I click 'all iCloud', in 'groups' while in 'contacts', obviously I only see the older version of my contact list. Am I missing something here?
Have you dragged the new contacts to the group you are viewing (in iCloud)?

Hey dbplumb. I'm sorry, I'm not sure in what context I should understand your suggestion in. Do you mean on icloud.com or on the iPhone itself?

Hey dbplumb. I'm sorry, I'm not sure in what context I should understand your suggestion in. Do you mean on icloud.com or on the iPhone itself?
Sorry I had a little difficulty understanding your original question

iCloud.com
In contacts make a group by clicking on the people graphic then the plus sign
Now drag and drop from All Contacts to your group (s)
These groups will now be on your phone too (depending on your connection)
With Wi Fi, changes made here are on my phone within minutes or less

Sorry I confuse myself sometimes with my own rhetoric lol.

I see what you're saying now. The issue I'm having is very similar.

Let's assume you entered some new contacts on your iPhone. On your iPhone, under "settings", then "icloud", you have made sure that "contacts" is enable to be sync'd with iCloud. In addition, in "settings", then "mail, contacts, calendars", you have ensured that in the "contacts" section, the "default accounts" is the same account (let's call it "[email protected]") that holds all your recently added contacts as well as every single other contacts on your iPhone. And you know that the default account is correct because when you're in "contacts," and then in "groups", you notice that "[email protected]" is the account that holds all your contacts. Am I missing a setting here or something?

Still not quite sure if this is what you meant
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350601738.501807.jpg
Tapping the circle arrow at the top of this page syncs your contacts with iCloud
You can edit contacts on the phone but groups need to be set up in iCloud

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi I have exactly the same (or closely related) problem. I enabled contact sync for my icloud account. I then added my gmail contacts to my iPhone via enabling Exchange contact sync. However, the new gmail contacts which I got pushed to my iphone do not sync to my icloud account. I ensured to set the default account to iCloud as per clavishon's advice:

Did you make sure to set the Default iPhone Contact Sync account on your iPhone?

None of my newly imported gmail contacts would move to my icloud account though and this is exactly what I am trying to achieve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You cannot move contacts between accounts on your iPhone. Therefore, your Gmail-synced contacts will remain within their Group within your Contacts app and not mix up with the contacts from your iCloud account. You will need to manually export your Gmail contacts by logging in to your Gmail account on your computer > Contacts > Export contacts. And import them to your iCloud account (again manually).