What's new

iCloud storage

Ruc

Reaction score
My notifications tell me my iCloud storage is "almost full" but I haven't used any of the 5 free GB. I will try to manage my iCloud storage but the apps say they have no data and I don't know how to fix it. Please help!!!
IMG_9849.jpg

I think they are saying No Data because you haven't yet made a backup. This normally happens when the phone is switched off and connected to a power source.

It's saying "almost full", because the next backup you'd make would exceed the limit of the 5 GB. On your screenshot, you see that a backup would need 6.6 GB, which are not available with the free 5 GB.

Decide what doesn's need to be backed up, and disable these. A few of the apps are visible on your screenshot. Doing this will diminish the size of the backup, and it will be possible to backup your device to iCloud.

A backup to iCloud happens automatically (if enabled) when it's connected to a power source as well as to Wi-Fi, and it shouldn't be turned off, but locked (the screen is black).

Last edited:
IMG_9850.jpg

Okay so it's not doing anything when I turn the apps off (notice next backup size still says 6.6 GB) and in past times when I've tried turning them off it says it can't. Thank you I appreciate all the help!

Try rebooting your iPhone, then take another look at the backup size:

Press and hold Home and Power button (iPhone 7: Power nd Volume- button) until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it appears, let go of both. Your iPhone will power up on it's own.

View attachment 29594
Okay so it's not doing anything when I turn the apps off (notice next backup size still says 6.6 GB) and in past times when I've tried turning them off it says it can't. Thank you I appreciate all the help!

Be sure to delete all the photos in your "recently deleted" album. Those will take up storage in the back up. Also delete photos and videos in the messages app.

Yes thanks for the advice!!! I had to delete a lot of pictures (I had like 3,000 but now I have about 1,000) and I was able to turn on the iCloud Photo Library and store them there [emoji4][emoji1360]

iCloud Photo Library is not meant as online storage, it's for syncing photos between devices. If you remove photos from one device, they will also be removed from all the others synced to your iCloud account. That means: when they are removed, they are gone, without an option to get them back.

Images you sync via iCloud need storage space in iCloud. This could be a reason why your device shows that it's iCloud storage is almost full.

736c042a5c802b92fc052a3f6cf0d03f.png

So I should turn the top one off?

If your device still is showing an "almost full" iCloud storage, the images might be the reason. In that case, turning it off still wouldn't help, as they'd still be in iCloud for 30 days. Within that time, you'd have to download the images to your iPhone, if you don't want to lose them completely.

In any case, don't leave these images on your iPhone only. Save them to your computer, or load them to online storage, such as Google Photos, OneDrive or Flickr, if you don't want to lose them. As stated before, iCloud is used for syncing, not for storing photos.

Okay thank you very much!

Okay thank you very much!

Correction - iCloud Is a PAYG storage service in the cloud, which has no restrictions - other than the conventional ones - on what data you choose to store there.
Other storage providers may be cheaper but you get what you pay for in terms of actual physical storage as well as the Datacenters the policies and regulations that they are managed under - globally including liability- and more importantly these days you get the best in data storage security [emoji599] and that is the new gold in my book so well worth paying a few pennies to protect :)