What's new

iCloud photostream and regular photo duplicates way too much space used

traquy

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't really find a good answer. I have over 1500 photos on my iPhone right now because I have the regular photos section with around 700 photos, then the photo stream section with the exact same 700 photos. Why does it do this? Can I set it somehow sync to iCloud then delete? Or do I just have to go through every so often and delete everything off of my actual phone? It seems like a Dept of redundancy Department type of thing. It's eating up all my memory.

You can turn off Photostream and upload all your photos to Dropbox! (Just keeping your photos on your iPhone in your camera roll... accessing the back-ups from Dropbox whenever you want to. Either on your iPhone or whatever other device you have.)

On a Mac, go to System Preferences -> iCloud -> Click the “Manage” button on the bottom right. To edit the backup on a PC you must have the iCloud control panel installed. You can download it from the Apple website here: Download iCloud control panel.

From this panel you can remove an entire iOS device backup and individual items that have been backed up from your Mac or PC. To empty the Mail backup, you have to actually go to the Mail app and delete emails manually. If you want to empty out the Mail, but don’t want to permanently delete the files forever, you can always save them to your computer or Dropbox.

One note if you are not aware, photo stream is limited to 1000 images. As you add more older are deleted. So this is not the place to archive your images. It is a seamless way to have access to your most recent images. I find it handy to take photos with my iPhone then edit with my iPad.

But I'm still uncertain what is included in my iCloud storage and back ups. Both my iPhone 5 and iPad 3(old) are 64GB so backups are tricky to maintain online. But I'd suggest if possible to regularly do a manual back up to local computer. Recently had some data corruption in the iOS and even though iPhone was replaced I couldn't restore from iCloud. I was told to restore as new but was able to grab a 6 month old back up from local that I used and saved some time. But I lost all recent text messages etc. .