What's new

I turn off Wi-Fi and my phone's microphone is restored

thebutlerdidit

Reaction score
There are many threads about calls or microphones cutting out on iPhone 7 but I haven't found a thread that matches my experience..

Wi-Fi calling is turned off on the phone's menu, but I have Wi-Fi in this house and my phone's Wi-Fi is generally turned on.

I'm in the middle of a phone conversation, using what I assume is my AT&T cellular connection -- we have reasonably good LTE service.

Several minutes into a conversation I can no longer be heard. I can hear the other person - usually they're saying "I can't hear you".

I tried an experiment - when this happens I turn off the phone's Wi-Fi connection and my microphone is restored immediately.

Any idea why this might be happening? My wife also has an iPhone with AT&T, no such problems.

Is it possible that my phone is defaulting to Wi-Fi calling somehow?

Why don’t you turn on WiFi calling? It is supposed to help you maintain calls.

It's not a great solution, if I'm going somewhere that doesn't have Wi-Fi. I might test it out just to see what happens, though.

if You go somewhere that doesn’t have WiFi, your cell signal should handle the call and presumably your signal is strong enough. WiFi calling just enables WiFi to take over when your cell network signal is weak. Enabling it would allow you to discover if that is why your sound is not transmitting correctly due to that. But I suggested having it enabled because I don’t see the downside. Perhaps your signal needs resetting, maybe your speaker is going. I really have no idea, was just wondering about WiFi enabling.