What's new

I TUNES, multiple accounts ??

mwarren1997

Reaction score
I have a 4 with a itunes account on my PC, I recently purchased a 4s for my fiance'. My question is can she have an itunes account on the same computer ?

Yeah she can. there is no trouble with that. Or you could simply create another computer account to your fiancy, there she can install a new iTunes and have all her files iTunes stuff separated from yours. But anyone of those solution, iTunes can handle it pretty well.

Sure, she can. You two will just have to log in an out of iTunes to access your account.

If I may suggest, given that she's your fiance (and so, about to be your wife ... aka a family member), why don't you put her 4S on your iTunes account? That way, you can share apps and such - plus you don't have to re-purchase any apps, you can just transfer them over. She, or you, can decide which of your apps she wants and then you can load them up on the 4S.

That way, also, you won't have to log in/log out to access separate accounts. It'll just be one. If the iPhones have separate names, it is a simple matter to keep them separate.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Marilyn

Sure, she can. You two will just have to log in an out of iTunes to access your account.

If I may suggest, given that she's your fiance (and so, about to be your wife ... aka a family member), why don't you put her 4S on your iTunes account? That way, you can share apps and such - plus you don't have to re-purchase any apps, you can just transfer them over. She, or you, can decide which of your apps she wants and then you can load them up on the 4S.

That way, also, you won't have to log in/log out to access separate accounts. It'll just be one. If the iPhones have separate names, it is a simple matter to keep them separate.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Marilyn

Mickey330, pardon my ignorance but how do I do that ?

Plug the iPhone into your computer and fire up iTunes. If it's brand new, as in, you've never activated it, iTunes will take over and set it up for you.

If her phone is already synced to a different computer, that gets a bit different. If you plug it into your iTunes, iTunes will want to sync it with that version of iTunes, which means that everything that is on that phone will be wiped out (apps, contacts, emails, etc.). If there is not much on that phone, then it's no biggy.

-------

I've re-read your initial post and I think I may have made an assumption. I assumed that 4S was not already activated (and we all know what "assume" means! :D). However, if she already has that phone activated on a different iTunes account (not yours), then she cannot easily set up an account on/with your iTunes. That's because Apple has made it "one phone/one iTunes." She'll have to keep that phone on her iTunes/different computer, unless she is willing to risk wiping everything out on it to use it with your iTunes.

If that's the case, let me know. There are ways to get most of the phone data over to a new iTunes. However, if you go that route, from then on you will have to use two separate Apple IDs and log in/out when you want to switch accounts.

Sorry for the confusion. :eek:

Marilyn

Sorry I should have provided more info. No it has not been hooked up to any PC yet but she has set up an account on her phone to access apps.

Mark

Sorry I should have provided more info. No it has not been hooked up to any PC yet but she has set up an account on her phone to access apps.

Mark

Laymen terms for you. On your pc set up a new log in user. If its windows 7, type in search bar "new user". In the new user part add your fiancé then once that's done go back to start and go to log off on the right of start. Now it should say. Either your name or admin and your fiancé. Click hers and it'll make a new screen once that's been done click into iTunes and go through the new set up. Once that's done sync her phone. Now every time you or your misses uses the pc you both have your own log in and your own iTunes. This is the best way. Fiancé or not, if she's anything like my wife and downloads rubbish apps then they don't go into your phone and vice versa. Also you have independent music and photos. Hope that helps you out.

iHolophyte

Last edited:
iHolophyte,

Thanks for your help. I understand now. That helped alot

Mark

I just switched from the 3G to the 4S. I am using the 3G for an iPod.

Everything I hook up to iTunes it wants to go back to the last one that was hooked and that is a real problem because it keeps changing thing I don't want changed.

It there a way I can have iTunes show both of them?

Thanks!

I just switched from the 3G to the 4S. I am using the 3G for an iPod.

Everything I hook up to iTunes it wants to go back to the last one that was hooked and that is a real problem because it keeps changing thing I don't want changed.

It there a way I can have iTunes show both of them?

Thanks!

It will both the 3G and 4s are two phones linked to the same account. So every time you plug into iTunes it'll think your on one or the other. (same email account for both I presume) iTunes isn't that clever yet. Your best bet for this is set a new user account on your pc or a new email address to your 4s. I'd opt for new user on pc then you don't merge both phones. If you want to merge then just do a new email.

iHolophyte