What's new

I think my iphone was hacked...

tony101010

Reaction score
I think my iphone was hacked. Recently I sent a text message to a friend. A few minutes later when I looked at the message the name of the contact had changed from James Smith to Dummy Smith. It even changed on my contacts list. Has anyone heard of this before and is it possible for the person on the other end to change the contact information on another iphone?

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

If your iPhone is not jailbroken, it's very unlikely it has been hacked.
If this contact is also synced to your device via Facebook, or an email account, it's possible that the information changes on your device. This happened to me before, with my daughter's contact information. Her profile picture changed by itself, when she started using a different profile picture on FB.
If memory serves right, my name changed on my son's iPhone, when I edited the information in my iCloud account.

Thanks for the reply JA :) What you say makes sense but in this case neither I nor Jimmy Smith changed anything.

It can also have been modified by anyone you handed the iPhone to, if the iPhone was not locked at the time. Can someone be pranking you?

It happened minutes after I sent the text and I was the only one in the room.

Just for grins, go to Settings, General, Keyboard, Text Replacement and see if anything is there. But realistically, J.A.gave you the best information.

Nope, no text replacements. Based on what I've researched the only way to do this (assuming no pirate apps are installed and phone is not jail broken) is through the actual phone or through ICloud account. I any case its weird behavior. If anybody has an idea feel free to share it. I added two step verification to my icloud account just in case.