What's new

I think I may have downloaded a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsspeaks

Reaction score
Hi, I recently just got my new iPhone a week or so ago so I really don't know my way around the app store. I was just browsing and came across "ringtones" in top free. I stupidly downloaded thinking it should be fine since it's so high in the category. I downloaded, listened to a preview but I didn't download anything, put my password in anything. I started to second guess myself and googled the company who made it "DYSoftware" and nothing really came up but for a site that had little information. I took the app off my phone, changed my itunes and even my email password. Are there any other precautions I need to make? I'm paranoid I might've downloaded a keylogger and that it could get my new password and even other information.

Hi, I recently just got my new iPhone a week or so ago so I really don't know my way around the app store. I was just browsing and came across "ringtones" in top free. I stupidly downloaded thinking it should be fine since it's so high in the category. I downloaded, listened to a preview but I didn't download anything, put my password in anything. I started to second guess myself and googled the company who made it "DYSoftware" and nothing really came up but for a site that had little information. I took the app off my phone, changed my itunes and even my email password. Are there any other precautions I need to make? I'm paranoid I might've downloaded a keylogger and that it could get my new password and even other information.
i would have thought you should be ok,apps that are in the apple app store should be fine as apple vet them,just keep an eye on your apple purchases,you can check these in iTunes.

See, that's what I thought but I did a little googling and there have been scams that have made it in there in the past so it's only gotten me more paranoid.

See, that's what I thought but I did a little googling and there have been scams that have made it in there in the past so it's only gotten me more paranoid.
as you just got your phone you have 90 days free phone support,give apple a ring on the free number and explain your worries,they will tell you if its a legit app,let me know what they say.

I have not herd of any keyloaders but there are a lot of apps that have spyware on them.

I forgot to update but I did call apple support and the person the phone reassured me that my phone should be fine.

@atmasters that's exactly what i'm afraid of! people say that they look through the apps before letting them on the app store but i read that they've gotten lazy with it and some malicious apps have made it through. it maybe just some apple haters or trolls trying to scare consumers though.

I forgot to update but I did call apple support and the person the phone reassured me that my phone should be fine.

@atmasters that's exactly what i'm afraid of! people say that they look through the apps before letting them on the app store but i read that they've gotten lazy with it and some malicious apps have made it through. it maybe just some apple haters or trolls trying to scare consumers though.
probably the latter,i would think that if apple had lazy people letting malicious apps thro into their much loved app store there will be sackings on a huge scale,I'm sure your phone will be fine,glad you took my advice and rang them.

If it is a keylogger, it really can record the passwords on your iphone, make sure you remove it and try again.
this is an old thread,check the date,i think the OP is sorted now.

The Apple App store is way full of scams, and apps that do nothing the Dev says they do. This is a 100% "proven fact"

At least when I download something from Cydia there is at least a 99% chance it will work fine provided there are no conflicts and it states to work on my iOS.

This is why i turn to Cydia for everything. I have a total of 35 app store apps that I use, and that is probably all I will ever use.

The way I look at at you have a at least a 50% chance of buying an app that is a pure "scam" from the app store. Those rip off chances are not that high with Cydia. Developers of Cydia tweaks dont want to rip you off ( maybe a handful), They want you to keep buying there tweaks. Same thing with repos. The chances of something bad is rare with caution because those guys want you to use those repos, use there tweaks...........Not scare you away from that I think the main goal for the Devs is not only to make great tweaks but to have a great rep. And when someone does just get there money taken from the Dev of a Cydia tweak, it is a 99% chance that the person did not check compatibility.

I know a kid that spent money on Auto Profiles Manager 4 (Cydia tweak) and was complaining he got ripped off. I looked into it, and he apparently thought that as long as something is in Cydia that you can install it. the tweak was old and was not updated for his iOS and did not say it was either. It was purely his fault for giving money for a tweak that says nothing about compatibility or a recent changes tab indicating it had been updated. Just sayin, If you got your money takin from a Dev, it's probably because you didn't check to see if the tweak even worked with your device or iOS. Which it seems to me that this is were people start talking smack on Cydia, when really, all they got do is read about the frikin tweak and find out when it's last update was.

People blow the potential of Cydia tweaks and there repos way out of proportion.

I trust "anything" from Cydia before I would trust anything from the App Store (Yes.Personal experience).

At least developers of Cydia tweaks reply to emails willing to fully give you support (most of the time. And seriously "most" of the time, not "some" of the time. No joke) I have never had a developer of an App Store app reply to me once with any type of support ( and believe me i have tried many times). Cydia is just way more trust worthy then the App Store. PROVEN fact in my eyes and personal experience.

zig9449 said:
The Apple App store is way full of scams, and apps that do nothing the Dev says they do. This is a 100% "proven fact"

That is why before I even download an app (be it free or paid) from the app store I always check the reviews.

That is why before I even download an app (be it free or paid) from the app store I always check the reviews.

Yeah.....thank god for those things. Saved a lot of people from being ripped off.

Wow, I didn't realize people had replied. You're now making me second guess myself but I haven't noticed anything strange such as my accounts being hacked or anything to do with credit cards. So I don't think I have a keylogger or any sort of virus (if that's possible for the iPhone but I don't think it is) I was just uncertain as the developers site wasn't very maintained and had little information. I had read the reviews before hand and people seemed to trust it. I've been wary of things I download from the app store since then.

marsspeaks said:
Wow, I didn't realize people had replied. You're now making me second guess myself but I haven't noticed anything strange such as my accounts being hacked or anything to do with credit cards. So I don't think I have a keylogger or any sort of virus (if that's possible for the iPhone but I don't think it is) I was just uncertain as the developers site wasn't very maintained and had little information. I had read the reviews before hand and people seemed to trust it. I've been wary of things I download from the app store since then.

I dot think there re any app store apps that try to steal information form your device. They just want you to buy there crappy app...and some of them make a lot of money from selling apps that are nothing like what the description. States.

Yes there are these "Reviews" in the app store but please make sure you scroll down and load at least 2 or 3 more pages of reviews.

Some developers will write a review for there own app, saying how awesome it is. Multiple reviews with different names of coarse.
But then load another page or 2 of reviews, and every single one is people bit**ing about how they want there money back..and warning people not to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.