What's new

I think I just ruined my Iphone 3G. What do you think?

Planet 3G

Reaction score
So I was working on unlocking my Iphone with redsnow. I had a challenge I needed to resolve, my power button doesn't work. So how do I get it to DFU mode for redsnow? After some research I found that by modifying a file in the IPSW I could actually set the phone into DFU by restoring with the modified IPSW in Itunes. Gave it a try and it worked, my phone was in DFU mode. Itunes read it in recovery mode and redsnow bypassed the Power+Home step. Redsnow took it directly to the Fetching baseband and the "wating to reboot" screen. Unfortunately I tried every trick on the internet to get past the "waiting to reboot" screen but nothing worked. After many tries, redsnow actually installed the second stage then went back to the "waiting to reboot" freeze. After some 10-15 minutes I cancelled the process to find out that the Iphone is no longer in DFU mode. Now itunes doesn't read the phone and redsnow is waiting for it to get to DFU mode.

So my question is, having no Power button and without Itunes recognizing the Iphone, is there a way to put the phone in DFU or do a reset to factory settings?

I'd appreciate any help.

what the modified ipsw is meant to do, is to set you in DFU, and be able to restore a custom ipsw. that is already jailbroken.

what the modified ipsw is meant to do, is to set you in DFU, and be able to restore a custom ipsw.

I got that part done. No problem there.

that is already jailbroken.

Redsnow process froze at "Waiting for reboot" after the second stage installed. Then the process was cancelled. I think that the first & second stage install got it past the DFU mode and left the 3G in limbo. It is not in DFU, hence itunes, redsnow, tinyumbrella, not even pc even notices there is a device connected. And since the redsnow process froze @ "waiting for reboot", it is not considered successfully jailbroken. The question now becomes, how to reverse or complete the jailbreaking process via redsnow or any other useful tool, while the 3G is nonexistent as far as connect ability is concerned?

you need to make a custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze that is pre-jailbroken

Restore to the modified ipsw that puts you in DFU

Make a pre jb custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze.

let it put you in pwned dfu(you are already in DFU)

Restore

h2olover1 said:
Restore to the modified ipsw that puts you in DFU

Make a pre jb custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze.

let it put you in pwned dfu(you are already in DFU)

Restore

Why would one restore to an iPSW that puts you in DFU mode? (which I have never heard of)

Why not just enter DFU mode your self(without restoring to get there)...then run iREB and restore to the Sn0wbreeze iPSW?

zig9449 said:
Why would one restore to an iPSW that puts you in DFU mode?

Why not just enter DFU mode your self(without restoring to get there)...then run iREB and restore to the Sn0wbreeze iPSW?

his powerbutton does not work

h2olover1 said:
his powerbutton does not work

There is an iPSW that puts your device in DFU mode?

How do you get that?

Wow...I'm hijacking the thread I think.

My bad.

Continue.

zig9449 said:
There is an iPSW that puts your device in DFU mode?

How do you get that?

Wow...I'm hijacking the thread I think.

My bad.

Continue.

im not sure. apparantly theres a method to restore to a corrupt ipsw that forces it into DFU

I LOVE YOUTUBE!!!!

Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low...

So, having no other option with the 3G as it was, I decided to put the 3G apart to see if the Power circuits, wires or button were damaged. Went on youtube and there is this really thorough video form this Spanish guy dissecting the whole thing. I removed the screen, the logic board, removed the battery and check thouroughly the power flexicable and the connection. Everything looked fine except the chrome plate around the 3g was loose. I applied a bit of crazy glue and put back together.

Baammm!!! Somehow, for some reason the 3G was put back in DFU??? So h2olover, it seems you were right, the 3g was in DFU but nothing picked it up. From there it was a breeze restoring the thing. So now Im going to try with tinyumbrella set to DFU option.

I'll let you know how that goes.