What's new

I need to know

Jrome.brooks

Reaction score
Just got a new AT&T account got the iPhone 4 for 99 cents ( $30 with sales tax ) but I got a I5 for my previous carrier which screwed me over I didn't pay the bill so it's shut off so can I go to apple and have them switch sims and have my i5 with AT&T or they can't and my i5 is pretty much a iPod 😔 ( I had sprint and they suck )

Just got a new AT&T account got the iPhone 4 for 99 cents ( $30 with sales tax ) but I got a I5 for my previous carrier which screwed me over I didn't pay the bill so it's shut off so can I go to apple and have them switch sims and have my i5 with AT&T or they can't and my i5 is pretty much a iPod  ( I had sprint and they suck )
In SA, with Vodacom (my SP), they will be able to do a sim-swap and then you can use the i5 (exactly what you 're asking, difference is the SP should be doing this at Vodacom and not Apple) - AT&T should be able to do same I suppose. I will check this thread to see if you got it. iPhone 4 are now for free in SA with a package of 75min/200sms/200mb-data with Vodacom. And I think it's good, as 4 is also getting the upgrade to ios7..

In SA, with Vodacom (my SP), they will be able to do a sim-swap and then you can use the i5 (exactly what you 're asking, difference is the SP should be doing this at Vodacom and not Apple) - AT&T should be able to do same I suppose. I will check this thread to see if you got it. iPhone 4 are now for free in SA with a package of 75min/200sms/200mb-data with Vodacom. And I think it's good, as 4 is also getting the upgrade to ios7..

How much ?

How much ?
The sim swop? We pay R65 (about $7 max) for the nano sim - they put it in, phone Vodacom with the relevant nrs etc, and because you have a contract/plan (in SA) you wait an hour or so, the old sim will die, and then the new one will work on the contract/plan. When my wife upgraded from Nokia N8 to iPhone 5, it was done that way. If AT&T are working same, they would be able to do that and the sim in the 4 will be "transferred" to the sim in 5 - I am sure they will be able to do that. Vodacom in SA is part of the Vodafone family I think...

1) sprint unlocked will not work in the U.S. it can only be worked internationally, so it will not work for ATT. correct me if im wrong
2) even if it does work, you will need sprint to unlock the phone for you, which they probably wont do since u havnt paid the bills
3) even if it you get it unlocked, the internet frequency may not be the same, so you may experience very very slow data speeds

Last edited:
1) sprint unlocked will not work in the U.S. it can only be worked internationally, so it will not work for ATT. correct me if im wrong
2) even if it does work, you will need sprint to unlock the phone for you, which they probably wont do since u havnt paid the bills
3) even if it you get it unlocked, the internet frequency may not be the same, so you may experience very very slow data speeds

Well found someone that will unlock with a bad esn for 99 and I understand about the data speeds it will be 3G hspa which means I will have good batterylife since 4G lte was killing my battery at work

Well found someone that will unlock with a bad esn for 99 and I understand about the data speeds it will be 3G hspa which means I will have good batterylife since 4G lte was killing my battery at work

Next iPhone I'm buying will be unlocked ill pay extra for less hassle

I think you will find that Apple made the Sprint iPhone5 to only be unlocked for international use on GSM technologies that are not in the US. AT&T is a different GSM frequency than is on your iphone 5 which was made for a US CDMA frequency and not GSM so I believe unlocking would be pointless unless you are travelling to Europe or Japan. In addition, Sprint might have the phone's IMEI blocked so no US sim would work and no other US company will clear it.

I think you will find that Apple made the Sprint iPhone5 to only be unlocked for international use on GSM technologies that are not in the US. AT&T is a different GSM frequency than is on your iphone 5 which was made for a US CDMA frequency and not GSM so I believe unlocking would be pointless unless you are travelling to Europe or Japan. In addition, Sprint might have the phone's IMEI blocked so no US sim would work and no other US company will clear it.

You have a point with the international unlock but I've seen online sprint iPhones being unlocked with AT&T and tmobile so I'm just gonna test the waters and see