What's new

I moved to iOS (6s+); these are the things I miss about Android

MitchellGoudie

Reaction score
I had the Nexus 6P, but as I take a lot of video, the lack of OIS really was a killer for me, so I made the jump to iOS to see which one I prefer. I'm still a baby iOS user, but I do feel like it's superior, but there are a few things I miss from Android (a.k.a. Nexus 6P).

EDITED - no website links

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to switch over to iPhone but there are a few things that are stopping me. The battery compared to the s6 edge plus (current device) the camera quality, and how I can customize everything. Those are the big 3 main things holding me back. Otherwise I'd switch to an iPhone within a heart beat lol

I just switched this Saturday past, the 27th of Feb. I really miss the android experience. I knew I was coming to a more restrictive OS, but I hadn't realized how restrictive. Can't even do something as simple as change the colors of the chat bubbles in the messaging app, let alone switch the launcher. Or place icons where I want them, unless of course I am missing something.

I just switched this Saturday past, the 27th of Feb. I really miss the android experience. I knew I was coming to a more restrictive OS, but I hadn't realized how restrictive. Can't even do something as simple as change the colors of the chat bubbles in the messaging app, let alone switch the launcher. Or place icons where I want them, unless of course I am missing something.
Welcome to iPhone Forums!

There are apps that help changing the colour of messages. One of them is this one, just as an example:
Color Text Messages - Send Color Text Messages with Emoji for sms, mms & iMessage Free by VIMAL BHANVADIYA
Color Text Messages - Send Color Text Messages with Emoji for sms, mms & iMessage Free on the App Store
Just go to the App Store, and search for "colour text messages". You'll get quite a few results.

The app icons can't be placed everywhere on your screen. They will fill the first row on the top, then the second row below, and so on. You can put an app to a new homescreen, even though the one you started isn't filled yet.
If you wish to place your icons everywhere on the screen without limitations, you'd have to jailbreak your iPhone. I'm sure there's a tweak that allows this.

Where do you try to switch the launcher?

Where do you try to switch the launcher?

On android phones, you can download different launchers. Basically they change things for your UI. Say a Samsung phone comes with their proprietary Touchwiz UI, I can download NOVA Launcher, and totally change the look and feel of my device. Don't think I have that capability with iOS. Waiting on the jailbreak for 9.2.1 now, lol.

On android phones, you can download different launchers. Basically they change things for your UI. Say a Samsung phone comes with their proprietary Touchwiz UI, I can download NOVA Launcher, and totally change the look and feel of my device. Don't think I have that capability with iOS. Waiting on the jailbreak for 9.2.1 now, lol.
You can't change how your iOS device works, not with a stock iPhone.
What exactly do you wish to change? Perhaps there's something that can be done, although it's not jailbroken.

I really want to switch over to iPhone but there are a few things that are stopping me. The battery compared to the s6 edge plus (current device) the camera quality, and how I can customize everything. Those are the big 3 main things holding me back. Otherwise I'd switch to an iPhone within a heart beat lol
Jailbreak when released will fix the customization issue, Zerolemon's 9kmah battery case will give you juice for days, ive used 3 of the 9kmah batteries from them 1st was with my S3, 2nd note 3 and the last was with my LG G3, the camera quality is on point if I must say so myself, Camera+ is a great app to have if you need complete control of the camera as I do. I made the jump officially 2 weeks ago and I enjoy it outside of the customization thing but if the 9.3 jailbreak is released soon... You might want to hurry amd buy in because I'm sure Apple will stop signing ipsw really quickly this time.

Sent from my iPhone(Maci) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Battery life on the 6s plus is the BEST on the smart phone market right now... Hands on.

Camera is really good also with the iPhone 6s Plus too- it's not a Samsung camera but it's still not a game changer for this iOS user.

And customization can be done utilizing via a jailbreak... And other ways.

When I finally made the switch it was because I wanted a device that wasn't going to crash and was stable. That's one thing Apple does offer. Honestly yeah it does suck not being able to set text backgrounds ... Bubbles and fonts. There are some apps that do help with that- but also Apple just doesn't allow any app for useage. I've had both operating systems and even the best of androids have subpar battery life and lose fluidity. With Apple updates most phones recieve them- and it's not a waiting game. Once it's release most ... Like 5 series forward I do believe recieve them- on the same day... And it's not a waiting game from the service provider. You really don't get provider bloat ware like you do with android- which is pretty freeing if you ask me. It just comes down to preference.

I move back and forth between the two environments. Neither is perfect, but most of the time there's a work around for things you're missing. What things do you miss?

I move back and forth between the two environments. Neither is perfect, but most of the time there's a work around for things you're missing. What things do you miss?

The one thing that has me always coming back is customization- but even that gets flat after awhile because I honestly realize that I like being able to use my phone for more than just texting and web surfing- iMessage is amazing and so is FaceTime- and most of my family now is in the iPhone world so it makes messaging and keeping up with them so much more easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one thing that has me always coming back is customization- but even that gets flat after awhile because I honestly realize that I like being able to use my phone for more than just texting and web surfing- iMessage is amazing and so is FaceTime- and most of my family now is in the iPhone world so it makes messaging and keeping up with them so much more easier.

Use to be my answer as well. Then I got old and decided I just wanted the stupid thing to work. I was tired of all the ROMs and rooting, etc. I just wanted a phone that worked the way Steve Jobs intended it to! :p

iOS buckle up Microsoft phones get better cameras than you. And they get a more cheap price.

Can't even do something as simple as change the colors of the chat bubbles in the messaging app, let alone switch the launcher.

Apple have a strong identity so there's no way they'll be let people do stuff like this. As mentioned, there are numerous third-party apps that can do this kind of thing though.

I prefer the iPhone- now that the size is perfect I'm staying.
No problems- love it

I was on android forever- launchers all of it! It took me awhile to stop missing all that customization- and generally use my iPhone for what it is.
I now don't miss all that- and there are third party apps for many things and jailbreak.
It depends on user what you need or want out of your phone.
I have a free android tablet I use and play with... It's good for highway and Netflix (backseat for my daughter)lol it has a SIM card. Anyways I always contemplate Samsung,I sat in a car w my aunt she has the s6 and it was charging in the car I touched it to check it out and it was way too hot for my liking.
Maybe it was the charger etc- But those are the reasons why I left