What's new

How to Unjailbreak 4S running 5.1.1?

ardchoille

Reaction score
I read in a couple of other threads on these forums that the Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Content and Settings won't work on a Jailbroken 4S phone running 5.1.1. Using that procedure will throw the phone into an unrecoverable loop. Is it possible to remove all traces of the recent jailbreak from a 4S phone running 5.1.1.? And, if so, what is the procedure? I used Absinthe 2.0 to jailbreak.

I got problem on iphone 4s now.after i jailbreak 5.1.1 my phone,now i cant to uninstall my apps,when i click X,my phone become to ^Hang^,then i want to restast with Home button and power button.

Who can help my solve this case??

ardchoille said:
I read in a couple of other threads on these forums that the Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Content and Settings won't work on a Jailbroken 4S phone running 5.1.1. Using that procedure will throw the phone into an unrecoverable loop. Is it possible to remove all traces of the recent jailbreak from a 4S phone running 5.1.1.? And, if so, what is the procedure? I used Absinthe 2.0 to jailbreak.

Even if it worked the jailbreak would still be detectable.

Why?

Because jailbreaking changes the files system.

If you plug on a stock iPhone to I-FunBox
And then a jailbroken iPhone into i-FunBox...you will see a difference.

This is what they do at the Apple store to make sure you didn't jailbreak.

If you you deleted everything, including Cydia...the iPhones files system would still remain accessible...because that is what jailbreaking does.

With a stick iPhone you can only access like 7 or 8 directories.

With a jailbroken iPhone you can access all of them...and the number of accessed DIR on a jailbroken iPhone is astonishing. Hundreds of DIR.

Once an Apple guy plugs the the phone into his Mac (that's facing toward him...not you) he can see whether the phone has access to stock DIR's...it jailbroken DIR's.

There is no way to wipe all evidence of a jailbreak without completely reinstalling the iOS via iTunes.

Ok, zig, I guess my next question is how do I completely reinstall iOS via iTunes? I may never need it but I'd like to have the procedure just in case.

ardchoille said:
Ok, zig, I guess my next question is how do I completely reinstall iOS via iTunes? I may never need it but I'd like to have the procedure just in case.

Simple. Plug in iPhone and click the restore button. You must enter DFU mode if jailbroken.

The *key* completely reinstalling the iOS is to NOT restore from a backup.

I found the best way to do this is to download the iPSW you want to restore to...(perhaps use a tool to rebuild it with SHSH blobs you are restoring to older fIrmware) and save it to your desktop.

Enter DFU (or PWNED DFU if using a custom iPSW), open iTunes and shift+restore to the iPSW.

Once restore is done...you have reinstalled your iOS. That's all there is to it. Simple really.

You can restore from backup afterwards, but just plugging in the phone, right clicking on it, and clicking "Restore From Backup" does not completely reinstall the iOS. If it did..you would lose the jailbreak. All that option does is restore whatever settings where backed up in the backup file you used.

It is advised that one should NOT restore from a backup when you are restoring to fix a problem. Problems can often get backed up with everything else too. Tho you could always use an older backup in which you are certain did not have any problems.

zig9449 said:
Simple. Plug in iPhone and click the restore button. You must enter DFU mode if jailbroken.

The *key* completely reinstalling the iOS is to NOT restore from a backup.

I found the best way to do this is to download the iPSW you want to restore to...(perhaps use a tool to rebuild it with SHSH blobs you are restoring to older fIrmware) and save it to your desktop.

Enter DFU (or PWNED DFU if using a custom iPSW), open iTunes and shift+restore to the iPSW.

Once restore is done...you have reinstalled your iOS. That's all there is to it. Simple really.

You can restore from backup afterwards, but just plugging in the phone, right clicking on it, and clicking "Restore From Backup" does not completely reinstall the iOS. If it did..you would lose the jailbreak. All that option does is restore whatever settings where backed up in the backup file you used.

It is advised that one should NOT restore from a backup when you are restoring to fix a problem. Problems can often get backed up with everything else too. Tho you could always use an older backup in which you are certain did not have any problems.

Thank you. I hope I never need to do it, but it makes me feel better knowing the procedure.

Now problem is when i want to uninstall apps,my iphone freeze...why come out this problem

wai said:
Now problem is when i want to uninstall apps,my iphone freeze...why come out this problem

Try uninstalling through the Settings.app.

Settings> General> Usage> Apps Name> "Delete App" button.

zig9449 said:
Try uninstalling through the Settings.app.

Settings> General> Usage> Apps Name> "Delete App" button.

I didn't know you could do it that way. I've been long-pressing an app on the home screen, wiggle mode, then tap the "X". Learned something new, thanks :)

I know enter the setting can delete apps,but i still to know how i can solve click X button can function...please help me,izzit i reset all setting can solve this problem??

wai said:
I know enter the setting can delete apps,but i still to know how i can solve click X button can function...please help me,izzit i reset all setting can solve this problem??

It might. It's has been known to fix problems before.

Worth a try. Nothing will be lost or deleted so you have nothing to lose.

Will just have to reconfigure your settings.

I've backed up my phone, and i've removed the passlock, but something keeps going wrong when i jailbreak.
I am on 5.1.1. i get as far with absinthe where it will say "Sending final jailbreak data. Your device will appear to be restoring a backup, this may also take a while...." but then after a while i get a message saying that "absinthe has stopped responding, until it wont respond any more then i have to close it, and start all again, and then the same thing happens. i've done it a total of 5 times before coming here to look for help.
any suggestions please??​