What's new

How to turn iPhone into straight up MP3 player

chris333

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn an old iPhone into a simple, straight up MP3 player? Would love it to just function as a MP3 player only, where I can copy files to it like a thumb drive, then all it has is a music player on it as far as apps. I don't know if this is even possible but thought you guys may know.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, chris333!

The built in apps, those that you don't need, can be hidden in a folder. Delete every other app you don't need. If you just intend to use the iPhone as MP3 player, you don't need email accounts in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars.

If you have music purchased in iTunes, you'll need the Music app, and your Apple ID in Settings - iTunes & App Store.

If you use iCloud, disable Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Notes, and everything else you find there, except for Backups, if you prefer to backup your device through iCloud.

Make sure the songs are stored on your iPhone, or else you'd need an internet connection to listen to them.

Thanks. The old phone is wiped. Guess I can move everything except music to a folder out of the way. But will I be able to just copy MP3 files directly to the iPhone like it's a thumb drive and Music will play them then? Was hoping to cut iTunes out of the equation since all I want to do is listen to my old physical CDs I've converted to MP3 (lame I know haha)

That's not possible. You need iTunes, or online storage, such as Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive or others to get these files to your iPhone.

Is there a way to turn an old iPhone into a simple, straight up MP3 player? Would love it to just function as a MP3 player only, where I can copy files to it like a thumb drive, then all it has is a music player on it as far as apps. I don't know if this is even possible but thought you guys may know.

Depending on the iOS version one could jailbreak their phone, use ifile and wipe native apps like the phone, messages and notes apps etc.... Keep iTunes, music app, settings app etc. But that's a lot of work for what you'd gain. Guess if you're bored you could mess around .... But deleting some files could really screw things up.... One could use a PC program like iFunbox to transfer the MP3 files without the need for iTunes.... But again, overkill, and based on the ability to jailbreak. I'm assuming it's not yet.