What's new

How to Silence Boyfriend's IPhone Notifications at Night but Still Allow Calls

my_bf_hates_my_cat

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am an Android user and am clueless about IPhones, but need a solution to something:

My boyfriend's IPhone vibrates every time his facebook has activity, or every time he gets a text/email....and I'm a light sleeper, so a vibrating IPhone is not something I consider to be "silent."

How can we set up his phone so it will be completely silent past a certain time at night, but will still allow phone calls to come through? The things that make his phone vibrate are unrelated to each other....so is there an IPhone app that can take care of this? ...some kind of nighttime setting with a timer???

Thank you in advance for your help!

Andrea

Thank you, but I'm looking for an automated solution that doesn't require the user to change that setting every night, because then the user must also remember to switch the sounds back on in the morning. Also, he always has the lock screen on.

Difficult. In that case I guess you are looking for an app to do it. Sorry that didn't work for you.

Maybe Apple might come up with a nighttime mode in ios6.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Go to Settings/Sounds/Lock Sounds and switch off. This will disable sounds on the lock screen, although the phone will still ring.

I might be wrong but dont these directions just turn the sound on/off when you lock/unlock your phone ? In other words , turning it off will just make the lock / unlock noise go away ?

Yes. Sorry. I found this out afterwards and intended to delete my post. I thought it worked but it was just a quiet night and I received no notifications, hence no sounds.

I forgot. Apologies.

Post is deleted. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
I go to setting and switch of WiFi and cellular data each evening , so only phone calls & SMS ( But I never get them at night) come through...and switch back on the next morning . It's a pain but it's the only thing that works until Apple gives us some kind of profile setting , like what I had on my BlackBerry .

If the phone is jailbroken,search in cydia for the application called "iSilence".Download the trial and see if it helps.

iOS 6 does this in another month. No jailbreak needed.

I hope the developers are reading this.that WOULD Ba great feature

I heard throught the grapevine that what the OP is asking is going to be able to be done with IOS6 as well....but rumors are just that until it's proven not to be a rumor LOL

I like my 4s , however , there are alot of little things like this that i dont like.
No pic folder options w/o jailbreak
No autowake feature with alarm clock

Heck, my old samsung impression had alot of little things that i really miss.....

I am so excited for iOS 6 especially if the rumors are true about the notifications/sounds. But for now, I got sick of turning stuff on and off that I just left all notifications off that aren't texts or emails (they show up in my notification bar and on my lock screen, just no sound) during the day and at night, turning off texts and emails so just calls go through. It's a pain but it's worth it in case (knock on wood) there is an emergency and people need to reach me.

Thomasjtsi said:
Is that an offical confirmation? Anyone running iOS 6 in beta that can 2nd?

Yes, Do Not Disturb will be a main feature in iOS 6. I have the beta and use this feature every day. Works great. You can turn it off/on via the toggle in settings or set it to turn on at a certain time of day or night if you wish.