What's new

How to Jailbreak Tethered iOS 6.x.x (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G)

Software

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This tutorial will be on how to jailbreak tethered, tethered means (computer required during every reboot) well, let's get started, first of all. You need to download your IPSW. Here are a bunch of links for IPSW downloads, they will download automatically after you press on the link. But remember, do this at your own risk! I am not responsible for your device! This jailbreak is only for Pre-A4 devices and you will need to boot tethered everytime you reboot! If you want to jailbreak & unlock on the iPad baseband you have to scroll down until you find that in bold.

Redsn0w:
For the Mac OS X download click here!
For the Windows download click here!

IPSW's:
http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17213

Winrar:
Windows 32bit
Windows 64bit
(Mac users will need to get their own archiver as I don't know any as I'm a diehard windows user).

Windows:
1. Download your right firmware, your Phone/Pod IPSW and download Redsn0w for the right system. (Download to your desktop).
2. Go into your redsn0w file and unarchive redsn0w.
3. Launch Redsn0w (If you're running Windows 7, run as Administrator as Windows XP SP3).
4. Go to Extras
5. Go to Select IPSW (Select the IPSW for your system).
6. Then press 'Back' and back into the Extras & Jailbreak tab.
7. (iPhone 4's could skip this and move to step 8 and so could iPod Touches' 4G) If you have a 3GS it will ask you if you have a new or old bootrom you could identify this by checking your serial number if the 3-5 number of your serial number is higher than (XX393) then you are a new bootrom, if it isn't you're an old boot rom)
8. Then hit Jailbreak!
9. Wait for it to finish and put your device into DFU mode, the instructions should be on the screen but just incase I will tell you (1. Make sure your device is plugged in and is off, First Hold power button for 3 seconds, without letting go, hold the home button & power button together for 15 seconds 2. Then release the power button but keep hold of the home button for 10 seconds) and your device should be in DFU mode now.
10. Wait for everything to finish and load.
11. You will get a set of ticked boxes (Cydia must be ticked).
12. Wait for everything to finish. (Don't panic Jailbreaking brings you to a blackscreen it uploads shizzle on RAM and all of that shizzle).
13. Your device should turn on again.
14. Your device is officially jailbroken! (Remember when you turn your device on and off again, or when your battery runs out or Cydia makes you reboot you need to plug into a MAC/PC, select the IPSW again, press boot-tethered and put your Device into DFU mode in order for it to reboot!

Mac tutorial:
1. Download all needed files.
2. Unarchive redsn0w.
3. Open it.
4. Go to Extras
5. Go to Select IPSW (Select the IPSW for your system).
6. Then press 'Back' and back into the Extras & Jailbreak tab.
7. (iPhone 4's could skip this and move to step 8) If you have a 3GS it will ask you if you have a new or old bootrom you could identify this by checking your serial number if the 3-5 number of your serial number is higher than (XX393) then you are a new bootrom, if it isn't you're an old boot rom)
8. Then hit Jailbreak!
9. Wait for it to finish and put your device into DFU mode, the instructions should be on the screen but just incase I will tell you (1. Make sure your device is plugged in and is off, First Hold power button for 3 seconds, without letting go, hold the home button & power button together for 15 seconds 2. Then release the power button but keep hold of the home button for 10 seconds) and your device should be in DFU mode now.
10. Wait for everything to finish and load.
11. You will get a set of ticked boxes (Cydia must be ticked).
12. Wait for everything to finish. (Don't panic Jailbreaking brings you to a blackscreen it uploads shizzle on RAM and all of that shizzle).
13. Your device should turn on again.
14. Your device is officially jailbroken! (Remember when you turn your device on and off again, or when your battery runs out or Cydia makes you reboot, you need to plug into a MAC/PC, select the IPSW again, press boot-tethered and put your Device into DFU mode in order for it to reboot!

A video to help you out!

Errors & Fixes:
Missing keylist

Windows Error Fix:
1. Open Redsn0w (If you have Windows 7 right click and run as Administrator Windows Service Pack 3).
2. Go to Extras>Select IPSW>
3. Browse for the IPSW rather than just hitting jailbreak.

Mac Fix:
1. Open Redsn0w
2. Go to Extras>Select IPSW>
3. Browse for the IPSW rather than just hitting jailbreak.

Redsn0w doesn't support this IPSW.

Windows & Mac Fix:
1. You haven't downloaded the 6.0 IPSW for your device instead you've downloaded the 6.0.1 which you weren't supposed to do, so scroll all the way up and download the right IPSW for your device (those are all the 6.0 ones and the right ones aswell).

Credits:
OSXDAILY (IPSWs' & download links)
Redsn0w (For their program & their download links)
Winrar (For the Windows Unarchiver)
Ultrasn0w (For the unlock)
Google (For shortening the URLS)
Software (For typing it up and putting all of this together for you guys!)
iDownloadBlog/Myjailbreakmovies (For the video).

If you have any problems feel free to reply to this thread and I will find a fix and update the thread, I'll be more than happy to remove copyrighted material just PM me. But I've already told you this is at your own risk and I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device).

Remember to like if you think this is helpful!

''Enjoy your time on Earth, have a nice team with your family, because family is the most priced possesion you could ever get it is too expensive to be replaced and not even the richest man on Earth could afford it, nothing can afford a human beings' life as life has a limit to it, so love your family spend time with them and have a great time with them''-Software

Many Thanks,
Software

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong... but don't we already have tutorials here on how to JB Tethered using redsn0w? Anybody.....

Correct me if I'm wrong... but don't we already have tutorials here on how to JB Tethered using redsn0w? Anybody.....
I couldn't find any and anyway this would help people wouldn't it? It's for iOS 6.x.x and it's the only one up ATM. The forum will be updated and the Semi-Tethered will be added soon as well as the Untethered if it is released sometime soon.

Many Thanks,
Software

I'm working from my mobile right now... so I'm not going to dig around for our tutorials. However, the latest release of redsn0w is 0.9.15b3.... why don't you have it listed?

I have 0.9.15b5 listed which is actually the latest version according to Redsn0w the makers and the developers of the program!

Many Thanks,
Software

I have 0.9.15b5 listed which is actually the latest version according to Redsn0w the makers and the developers of the program!

Many Thanks,
Software

Beta 3 is the latest, not 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Thomasjtsi said:
Here's the Apple direct IPSW's... no need for the Google links you made.
http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17213
I've edited the post but Redsn0w will not recognise the IPSW given for 6.0.1 meaning everyone who has 6.0.1 OS for iPhone 3GS has to download the OS 6.0 IPSW and I'm not sure with the iPhone 4? I haven't tested it on the 4 but the 3GS definantly needs to download the OS 6.0 IPSW.

Many Thanks,
Software

I've edited the post but Redsn0w will not recognise the IPSW given for 6.0.1 meaning everyone who has 6.0.1 OS for iPhone 3GS has to download the OS 6.0 IPSW and I'm not sure with the iPhone 4? I haven't tested it on the 4 but the 3GS definantly needs to download the OS 6.0 IPSW.

Many Thanks,
Software

If you're not 100% sure, don't put it up. We don't need our readers to be confused from 2 different sources of information. For ANY device on iOS 6.0.1, you'll need the iOS 6.0 IPSW in order to jailbreak, and if you're going to write it up as a guide, you'd have to explain why you particularly need the iOS 6.0 IPSW when your device is iOS 6.0.1. The reason is that iOS 6.0.1 is a hotfix, working off of the iOS 6.0 base. All iOS 6.0.1 is a few minor bug fixes that were added on top of what the original iOS 6.0 provided, therefore, the cores are still the same and iOS 6.0.1 is not considered a full-fledged iOS because of a few add-ons, so you'll be needing the iOS 6.0 IPSW instead of the iOS 6.0.1 IPSW regardless of device.

And here are the links for RedSn0w directly so that some of our readers don't overlook it in the wall of text on the main page.

Mac OSX: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
Windows: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Thanks for the source Jon!
If anyone does have any problems, do reply to the thread as it would help me out and you too! For those who are wondering what happened to the unlock instructions, I've removed the iPad baseband instructions just incase any of you mislead and end up bricking your device.

Many Thanks,
Software

Last edited:
Anyone no if the semi tether tweak works on this jailbreak?. Where it allows you to turn on your phone but none off the cydia stuff works till you reboot?. Thanks

Remember to like the post if this helped!

Many thanks,
Software