What's new

How to Guide to Jailbreak iOS 4.2.8 VERIZON IPHONE with pwnage tool (Untethered Mac)

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/6375459/PwnageTool_4.3.3.1.dmg.6375459.TPB.torrent

download pwnage tool (from the torrent link)

and the link with the 15 second video tutorial ( Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: Verizon-4.2.8-PT-bundle.zip ).

extract pwnage tool to the desktop then right click and show package contents

open the folder contents, resources, firmware bundles.

then take the iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401.bundle file from the folder you had downloaded with the video and place it in that directory... then run pwnage tool

Now open pawnage tool normally and select expert mode and select your iphone 4

1-1.png

Next you will need to browse for the ipsw file that if you have downloaded from itunes is stored here user/library/itunes/iphone software updates..

or download it from here

http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...1_Restore.ipsw

2-1.png

Next click on General

3.png

you will see a list of options. activate the iphone, enable baseband update..etc it will only let you tick or un tick the first option so un tick it, and the partition size you can leave it the same as it is… basically the iphone is split into a partition one side is where ios is installed and takes 924mb and the jb apps are installed there and also another where the official app store apps go. so if you think you might need more space for jb apps you can increase it.

4.png

Next if you wish you can click on Cydia Packages..

5.png

as you can see in the pic below you can download packages add sources that will be installed to cydia when you jailbreak… you can search google or if you have some other sources you want to add… but cydia comes with pretty much everything you will need. when you double click on download packages it adds it to cydia

6.png

when you are done with that just click on build then next…

7.png

it will ask you where to save it to.. i chose the desktop..

8.png

9.png

when that is done you can open itunes and click on option restore or update and select the firmware you have now made with pawnage tool and then it will restart to a jailbroken state after itunes does its magic :)

i hope that helps

Last edited:
I've tried this procedure 4 times with the exact same result. Everything works fine until it gets to the part where it says the phone will reappear in Itunes after it restarts. That never happens. It just sits there with the white apple screen hour after hour. Any ideas?

I've tried this procedure 4 times with the exact same result. Everything works fine until it gets to the part where it says the phone will reappear in Itunes after it restarts. That never happens. It just sits there with the white apple screen hour after hour. Any ideas?

Upgrade the itunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply guys but I'm on the current version 10.2.2.

That's your baseband version, and whatever it is, you should be able to upgrade or restore your phone. Baseband have things to do with your sim cards, nothing to do with the upgrade.
Have u update your itunes? If yes what's the output?

I don't understand your question, "what's the output?" I have upgraded to the latest Itunes for the Mac 10.2.2 and I'm on version 4.2.8 Verizon Iphone. I have followed the instructions to the letter always with the same result: the eternal white apple. I'm able to restore my Iphone to the unmodified 4.2.8 without issue. I've done it several times.

could be your moving the wrong file into the pwnage tool folder

I can verify that I cannot get this to work either. I attempted this multiple times with the same result.

Similar to Unleashed I am on Verizon iPhone 4.2.8, iTunes 10.2.2, Macbook Pro (2011).

I have no issues getting into DFU. I have no issues picking my newly created ipsw. The phone installs the ipsw then reboots and boots to a static apple graphic.

Any ideas - since this is happening to two different users - I don't think it is not following the instructions.

I'm out of ideas at this boilling point. But i would try the hole thing again on a windows computer while using snowbreez and if that doesn't work out too, the i will head to apple store.

I've tried the windows version of the break as well, then transferred the modified file to my Mac for restoration because that's the machine I'm tethered to in Itunes. Different result this time, but same end result. It didn't work. This time I got an error message at the start of the restore instead of the white apple screen. Thanks sxgt for backing me up on this. With 2 people having the same issue maybe we can get a resolution.

I'm really interested in jailbreaking my iPhone 4, but I'm not very knowledgable with all this back door apple stuff. If you guys happen to get anywhere with this, I'd like to give it a shot. If there is a definite way of resetting to the retail version of iOS I'll try jailbreaking right away - I just would hate to brick my shiny new iPhone :3

I'm really interested in jailbreaking my iPhone 4, but I'm not very knowledgable with all this back door apple stuff. If you guys happen to get anywhere with this, I'd like to give it a shot. If there is a definite way of resetting to the retail version of iOS I'll try jailbreaking right away - I just would hate to brick my shiny new iPhone :3

you wont be able to brick your iphone from jailbreaking...

people have done in the past when they used un reliable tool called ziphone that "bricked" a lot of devices..

”What is Jailbreaking” « MyGreatFest

Ok so I backed everything up so I feel safe proceeding, but I can't even select the firmware bundle I want to use in PwnageTool. Every time I browse to it and click open it tells me "Wrong firmware bundle selected". The link in the tutorial is broken so I can't get a different .ipsw file to try this on.

EDIT: Okay so I realized I missed a step where I was supposed to put the bundle in the PwnageTool and everything went fine UNTIL I reached the same point as the other two users in this thread. Never ending white apple logo.

Last edited: