What's new

How to find out firmware version on passcode-locked iPhone 4?

06MS6

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm taking out my old iPhone 4 out of the closet and want to restore it. Unfortunately, I have a passcode on there that I completely forgot. I want to restore it without updating, but I do not know what firmware version is currently installed. I think it's 5.1, but I'm not 100% sure. What would happen if I loaded the wrong ipsw? I used redsn0w to try and find out the firmware version. I wrote down the build number: iPhone3,1_5.1_9B176. Does this mean I'm on 5.1? I tried using f0recast but it would not read my iPhone 4 (only my iPhone 5). I am also not having any luck with TinyUmbrella.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

That'll mean that your current iOS on your device is 5.1. But ultimately, it doesn't matter what iOS you're on since you'll need to restore it since you're locked out of your device, and since it's an iPhone 4, you wouldn't have to re-restore it, you can upgrade and downgrade as you have proper SHSH blobs saved with APTickets

Thanks for your reply. So even if I do Shift+Restore and use the 5.1 ipsw, I will still be locked out of my phone?

You can't restore back to iOS 5.1 without iOS 5.1 SHSH blobs saved for your specific device. You'll need to use a DFU restore otherwise to restore to the latest iOS.

So how can I get my SHSH blobs with the phone locked? I do not care about the data on the phone. Basically, I am just trying to restore the phone back to factory settings but I do not want to have to update iOS. I know how to get it into DFU mode but am not sure where to go from there.

SHSH blobs are not stored on your device. They're either stored on Cydia automatically or you have them on your computer from manually saving your blobs during the signing windows. Other htan that, your only option is to restore to the latest iOS which is 6.1.3.

Assuming you jailbroke the device when iOS 5.1 was still being signed, it'll be on Cydia. Retrieve them using Cydia by plugging your device to your PC and running RedSn0w to retrieve them.

SHSH blobs are not stored on your device. They're either stored on Cydia automatically or you have them on your computer from manually saving your blobs during the signing windows. Other htan that, your only option is to restore to the latest iOS which is 6.1.3.

Assuming you jailbroke the device when iOS 5.1 was still being signed, it'll be on Cydia. Retrieve them using Cydia by plugging your device to your PC and running RedSn0w to retrieve them.

Yeah I didn't have it jailbroken at all. Am I basically screwed/I'll have to update to restore?

Then the only way to get your device working at all would be to restore to 6.1.3 in DFU mode.

Then the only way to get your device working at all would be to restore to 6.1.3 in DFU mode.

Since I have the iPhone 4, will I be able to revert back to 5.1?