What's new

How many amps necessary to charge 4s

Jhyler12

Reaction score
Im sorry if this has been discussed before but I searched and I could not find a def. answer. How many amps necessary to charge an iphone, 4 and 4s mainly? I found a car charger but one of the reviews said make sure you know how many amps you need to charge your product because it would not charge his apple product. Anyone have an answer for me? Thanks in advance.

Technically .5 is the minimum required for charging an iPhone to 100%. BUT that assuming the phone is 100% in the sleep state. IF it is doing anything at all like playing music or constantly checking mail, it won't reach 100% with that low of an amperage.

The nominal amperage needed is 1.1 amps. This will charge the phone at 1% per minute until the iPhone reaches 85% charge. It then purposely slows down to half or more that charging rate to preserve the batteries longevity.

Skull One said:
Technically .5 is the minimum required for charging an iPhone to 100%. BUT that assuming the phone is 100% in the sleep state. IF it is doing anything at all like playing music or constantly checking mail, it won't reach 100% with that low of an amperage.

The nominal amperage needed is 1.1 amps. This will charge the phone at 1% per minute until the iPhone reaches 85% charge. It then purposely slows down to half or more that charging rate to preserve the batteries longevity.

I meant .5 my apologies. :)
This is 100% correct though!

So if I have an iPhone 5 and I'm looking to get an external battery pack and charger and it advertises that it has 5000 mAh, what does that mean in terms of charging the iPhone.

The 5000 mAh means the capacity that the charger can hold and recharge. The iPhone 5 I believe has a designed 1,430 mAh just like the 4S. If the external battery pack holds 5000 mAh, that means it can recharge your iPhone about 3.5 full charge cycles assuming your iPhone is still at the 1430 mAh capacity (lowers every full charge cycle) and your external battery back is holding the max 5000 mAh capacity.

So I've purchased the Battery charger. it has two outputs to plug USB cables into which would then be plugged in to either my iPhone 5 or my iPad2 for charging. One is labeled Out 1A the other is labeled Out 2.1A.

Does it matter which one I plug either the iPhone or the iPad2 into other than how long it will take them to charge, or is it wrong to plug in one or the other to the 2.1A output?

The iPhone can use either one with no ill effect or change in charge time.

The iPad can also use either one, but the 1A version will charge the iPad at half the speed of the 2.1A side.