What's new

how do you downgrade iphone 4s 5.1 to 5.01

1love1

Reaction score
i accidently erased my jailbreak and i dont have cydia anymore, im trying to downgrade so i can finally jailbreak my phone
after restoring i accidently put upgrade to 5.1 :(
help

Not possible at the moment. Once you update a 4S to 5.1 you are stuck there. downgrading A5 devices is not possible at the moment. you have NO CHOICE but to wait for the untethered jailbreak for 5.1 on A5 devices to be released. Probably a month or two. Sorry mate.

Be more careful next time. Once the jailbreak comes out for your device on 5.1 you will never be able to restore until a downgrade process for A5 devices is released, and that is not going to be any time soon i assure you that, since the most efficient way to downgrade is to enter PWNED DFU which requires a bootrom exploit(hardware) to be done. this is why i bought the iP4 instead of the iP4S. The iPhone 4 has a bootrom exploit that allows the device to always be jailbroken no matter what new iOS comes out along with the ability to enter PWNED DFU mode for downgrading via a custom iPSW. The iPhone 4S only has userland exploits(software) that can be patched by Apple, hence the reason iOS 5.1 cannot be tether jailbroken let alone untether jailbroken.

Always remember to save SHSH with Tiny Umbrella. You cannot actually use the SHSH for A5 devices YET but when the downgrade hack is released I'm sure it will require SHSH blobs (Hence the reason that there are tools for saving A5 devices SHSH blobs). You would regret not saving those blobs if you like to jailbreak i assure you.

Last edited:
According to muscle nerd there is a way to downgrade the 4S with shsh's from iOS 5.1.1 or 5.1 to 5.0.1 but there is no available tutorial on how to do so... Just stick with that fw and soon enough it will be jailbroken

There's a new version update 5.1.1; hum, is that going to interfere with what the developers have worked on so far to get us the 4S 5.1 untetheredhttp://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...ered+jailbreak+ios+5+iphone+4&rs=0&fr2=rs-top jailbreak; should I upgrade, do have to upgrade; I'm lost; how would that effect me if I upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.1; someone help!
Yes it will interfere w/ what they're working on. While it's not 100% certain if the exploit found in 5.1 to be Untethered will be patched in 5.1.1.... this is why we urge users to stay where they are to see if the exploit still exists in the next iOS version.

wait for assistance when it was released redsn0w 0.9.11b1. Next you need to do is save the shsh blob and wait.

The word downgrading an iPhone should always be accompanied by SHSH Blobs, since downgrading is nothing if you don't have your SHSH Blobs saved in right time. Also, since its a 4S [A5] device, downgrading is not at all possible even with saved SHSH Blobs. The method works only for A4-chip devices like, iPhone 4 etc.

Wait for the new redsn0w as it wil support downgrading of ios 5.1 to 5.0.1 but you will need shsh's

Lol every time I read it's going to be a few months before a jailbreak is released for ip4s I cry a little on the inside (not really). I just want a few tweaks is all.

hinds90 said:
Lol every time I read it's going to be a few months before a jailbreak is released for ip4s I cry a little on the inside (not really). I just want a few tweaks is all.

And this is why I chose to buy the iPhone 4 instead of the 4S. I will always have a jailbreak no matter what new iOS is released....Iove that.

Plus I can alway restore to whatever iOS I choose...I love that too.

But if you have 5.0.1 SHSH blobs then the next redsn0w will allow you to downgrade to 5.0.1. Then you won't have to worry about being stuck on a firmware that can't be jailbroken. ;)

I have SHSH saved for my iPhone 4 but cant use them. Ugh lol hopefully soon when I'm bored I enjoy tinkering with my phone and we all know the iPhone not jailbroken is kinda boring.

I have SHSH saved for my iPhone 4 but cant use them. Ugh lol hopefully soon when I'm bored I enjoy tinkering with my phone and we all know the iPhone not jailbroken is kinda boring.

shsh blobs should be used properly. You need to learn how to use tools iFaith, useiFaith v1.4.2 to help you downgrade FW.