What's new

How do I sync perfectly?

OneMarcil

Reaction score
I had to recently reinstall iTunes. When I sync my iPhone and iPad how do I make sure nothing is deleted or changed on these devices. Do I do an immediate back up on my iPhone and iPod?

I do have a back up of both devices on the drive the I devices were SYNCED to but I could not open that version of iTunes something about service pack 2 needed.

Now I have a new instillation of iTunes on both my external hard drive and internal C drive. I prefer to use the external hard drive so I can hook that drive to any of my computers and have my I devices information available no matter what computer that I am using.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Last edited:
Honestly....I'm not sure what you mean by keeping iTunes on an external hard drive...

Wouldn't you have to install a fresh iTunes every time you hooked up your external drive to a different computer?

Any way:

To void iTunes from screwing everything up, in iTunes click:

Edit (top left corner)
Preferences
Devices

And makes sure the box beside "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" has a checkmark in the box.

Make sire you click the Okay button at the bottom or it will not save.

When that's done your device will not sync as soon as its plugged in with iTunes open.

Now click on your device on the left in iTunes and click the "Summary" tab.

Click "Manually Manage Music".

This settings also applies to apps.

Now when you want to sync anything...nothing will be deleted.

The "Manually Manage Music" tab allows you to simply drag and drop whatever put want into your device...without removing everything else.

Simple. Hope this helps. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you that does help. Thank you got the great detail. You I installed iTunes on my external hard drive. iTunes works perfectly there.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

OneMarcil said:
Thank you that does help. Thank you got the great detail. You I installed iTunes on my external hard drive. iTunes works perfectly there.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

A: I'm assuming that your external hard drive is a bootable drive and has some sort of OS (Operating Software)

B: Or that you have any other instance of iTunes installation pointing to your external hard drive.

jmi58 said:
A: I'm assuming that your external hard drive is a bootable drive and has some sort of OS (Operating Software)

B: Or that you have any other instance of iTunes installation pointing to your external hard drive.

I have iTunes installed on the external hard drive and a shortcut to iTunes there on the desktop. I know that iTunes is be accessed on my external hard drive because that location is in the properties also when I hit the iTunes icon when the hard drive is not connected I get a indication that the specified path is not found.

No there is no operating system in the hard drive.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1