What's new

How do I get out of edit mode in Messages?

ronfab1

Reaction score
Every time I go in it is in that mode with a bunch of messages still checked. I search on line and only find something about hit "Cancel" in the upper left corner, but all that's up there is the Edit prompt. If I hit it, up comes only 3 choices 1. Select Messages. 2. Edit Pins. 3. Edit Name and Photo.

Have you tried going into the individual messages so the iPhone knows you “read” them? Because the drop down you get is when you try to edit a message not because you have edits that haven’t cleared. Maybe you can take a screenshot because I am not sure I understand exactly what you are seeing before you click Edit.

Last edited:
Have you tried going into the individual messages so the iPhone knows you “read” them? Because the drop down you get is when you try to edit a message not because you have edits that haven’t cleared. Maybe you can take a screenshot because I am not sure I understand exactly what you are seeing before you click Edit.
Thanks bear. OK apparently that's what I have to do ..... go to each individual item that is checked (not even sure why all of those are checked at this point) and at least click on them which then makes the checks disappear following that. Or delete them. Guess the bullets marking the messages stay up indefinitely, even after powering the phone off and back on. Thanks again.

Thanks bear. OK apparently that's what I have to do ..... go to each individual item that is checked (not even sure why all of those are checked at this point) and at least click on them which then makes the checks disappear following that. Or delete them. Guess the bullets marking the messages stay up indefinitely, even after powering the phone off and back on. Thanks again.
Please take a screenshot first. I really can’t replicate anything you mention but the drop down screen and when that occurs, I have no check marks. The only time I get checkmarks is when I am trying to edit individual text conversations and then, tapping on the check gets rid of it. I am not sure I understand you.

Sorry it's not literally a check mark, my bad. Just a little blue bullet to the left of the message, that remains until I actually do something with the message. Like even just clicking on the message will take the blue bullet off. Or deleting it, or whatever the heck I first noted it for. All good now, thanks!

Great. As an FYI, what probably happened is you pressed a text in the conversation. A box of actions appeared, you clicked on more and I am guessing didn’t realize pressing cancel (upper right) would cancel it and it somehow froze demanding the individual action. Glad you worked it out.