What's new

Hotmail on Verizon iPhone 4

Rivergoat

Reaction score
I asked about this on other threads, as many seem to have the same issue, but nothing definite as to a solution has been offered.

I'm a new VZ iPhone 4 user; I know that the native mail app doesn't let you sync Hotmail folders other than the basics; I have separate folders for specific friends, club organizations, work, etc.

It was suggested to use Exchange to set it up. I have done that, exactly as the recommendation instructs. The account verifies, but when first trying to launch, it repeatedly displays "incorrect password for Exchange." This, of course, when the password has been entered correctly.

My research thus far shows many people having the same issue, few have overcome it. Any further thoughts/ideas as to a fix? Certainly wondering if iOS 5 will address Hotmail.

In the meantime, I d/l'ed the MailPro app which syncs well to Hotmail. It does not push, provide alerts, nor allow for signatures; those are features I'd like to see them upgrade in a future release, otherwise it is a great app for multi-folder Hotmail users like myself.

Thanks.

I have used and loved Mboxmail app for both the iPhone and ipad!

Let me know if this is what you mean
All my hotmail folders show up in the app, there is nothing like it on any other device either, I had a droid and came to the iPhone and this was one of my main reasons.

App Shopper: mBoxMail - Hotmail with Push (Social Networking)

App Shopper: mBoxMail for iPad - Hotmail with Push (Social Networking)

edit: just a note these two very very nice apps (then again you can run the iphone version on the ipad with no problems just no where as nice as the ipad one running on the ipad) will run you $10 each but are well worth it since there is absolutely nothing like it on any other device it is a steal.

Last edited:
I read up on those, thanks. The reviews are mixed (makes me more concerned to drop $10), and I'll keep experimenting with my $1.99 Mail Pro app, and then let's see if iOS 5 addresses Hotmail in a better way than the native mail app currently does. Mail Pro certainly gets the job done 90%, if not 100%.

I have been using these apps for years now (iTouch 2nd gen, iPad 1st gen) and never had any problem, I do not understand why the negative on them, maybe people just do not know how to use them or they are running some kind of bad apps in the background, I use this at least (minimum) 10 times a day ( I purchased my iPhone 4 white from verizon 1 ½ months ago) and absolutely no problems (also I have the 32 gig and only 1.2 gig free and still no problem with the app). Best of luck

Use exchange ( check your password )

Server should be m.hotmail.com
Everything else is your information, create your folders on hotmail.com via their website, open you mail and it will show your folders etc and work.

Try changing your password, via hotmail website and setting up again using the iPhone.

Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• $image-952058005.jpg
    $image-952058005.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 454
  • $image-3289472142.jpg
    $image-3289472142.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 476
  • $image-268902163.jpg
    $image-268902163.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 471

Everything else is your information, create your folders on hotmail.com via their website, open you mail and it will show your folders etc and work.

Try changing your password, via hotmail website and setting up again using the iPhone.

It sounds great, but I've repeatedly tried this and it works until it fires up, then I repeatedly get "incorrect Exchange password entered." This despite entering a correct one. I've read where a lot of users have the same issue. I've not resolved this, so I can't really use Exchange for Hotmail at this time. (and I did try changing the Hotmail password as well).If you've got a tip/trick that will push the password to the server so it stops asking, do pass it along!

WOWIE ZOWIE......I was researching Exchange set up on the Hotmail Forums and came up with the fix to finally sync the account. The jury's still out as I do not see all my Hotmail folders (I have special folders aside from "inbox" to deal with mail from specific friends and business associates), but the trick on the set up was using the fully qualified name in both the email and user fields; i.e. "[email protected]" needs to be entered in both. When I set it that way, it did sync and lets me receive mail, I just don't know if the mail sent to accounts that hit the special folders will appear, I'll keep watch. Otherwise MailPro will suffice as it does give me access to my individual folders.

"User added" individual folders do in fact show up in the standard mail app in a hotmail account under an Exchange setup.

I was on vacation last week and missed your original post. I could have saved you a ton of time on the subject on how to set it up properly. I find it funny that Apple doesn't have this documented 100% properly.

Skull One said:
"User added" individual folders do in fact show up in the standard mail app in a hotmail account under an Exchange setup.

I was on vacation last week and missed your original post. I could have saved you a ton of time on the subject on how to set it up properly. I find it funny that Apple doesn't have this documented 100% properly.

Yea I have had no issues with it at all, worked first time for both accounts :)

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

As much as I think Apple has contributed to great technological advances, I find it odd they miss the little things. Yes, it could be better documented how to set up Hotmail in the Apple guide (what would Alexander Graham Bell think when a phone has a 274 page manual??? :) ). But in reading some of the iPhone manual (downloaded for Windows users), it's strange that they did not change the wording to suit the platform. I see references to the "Finder" in the Windows guide. That, of course, is the Apple equivalent of Windows Explorer; having worked with Apples in the past I'm familiar with some of their terminology, but take Windows users who's never booted an Apple and ask them to understand the guide....they'll probably go whack job. I guess that's where the Forums come in. When done properly, sharing of constructive information is invaluable.

Meanwhile I'm fully on the native mail app now for Hotmail; looks just fine ;)

What kills me about Apple and OSX is keyboard shortcuts.

Example:
Windows = CTRL+C is Copy
OSX = Command+C is Copy

Now Apple does allow you to remap the keyboard. So you switch Command with Ctrl on the mapping and then you try to use terminal and now CTRL+C is now Command+C because of the switch. So either you have Terminal screwed or applications screwed. Take your pick but you can't fix both.

It sounds great, but I've repeatedly tried this and it works until it fires up, then I repeatedly get "incorrect Exchange password entered." This despite entering a correct one. I've read where a lot of users have the same issue. I've not resolved this, so I can't really use Exchange for Hotmail at this time. (and I did try changing the Hotmail password as well).If you've got a tip/trick that will push the password to the server so it stops asking, do pass it along!
same thing happened to me and then I looked closer to see that I entered my email address as ___@ gmsil.com. The keys on this phone can respond a little differently at times and "jump" to the one next to it. I fixed it to @gmail.com and it fixed. I've never had a problem with my hotmail. Entered it as @hotmail.com NOT @live.com. Hope this helps