What's new

Help with Iphone 3g

sparkes88

Reaction score
Hi, help greatly appreciated for new iphone user, with very little technical knowledge!!
Bought a used iphone 3gs (version 4.1) and had it jailbroken (ultrasnow)- the wifi will only connect at home and can't find any free wifi (i work in a hospital and there is free available, but it can't find it!) also I've found today that the 3G isn't working - I've turned everything off and on again, tried the airplane mode and nada - getting to the point where I'm thinking of getting shut of the damn thing as I can basically only use it as a phone when not at home!!!
Help me please!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Hopefully we will get you some technical help to solve your issues or at least get ya on the right path...

Hi, help greatly appreciated for new iphone user, with very little technical knowledge!!
Bought a used iphone 3gs (version 4.1) and had it jailbroken (ultrasnow)- the wifi will only connect at home and can't find any free wifi (i work in a hospital and there is free available, but it can't find it!) also I've found today that the 3G isn't working - I've turned everything off and on again, tried the airplane mode and nada - getting to the point where I'm thinking of getting shut of the damn thing as I can basically only use it as a phone when not at home!!!
Help me please!

it could be that your devices is just too far to pick up any kind of a decent signal to receive the free wifi.. do you know where abouts the routers or hubs are kept? you could try going closer OR I would sugest using redsn0w to create a custom ipsw an upgrading to ios 5.1 and preserving the baseband and then using ultrasn0w again,

Also what carrier is the phone locked to? it may be worth looking into getting the device unlocked officially as you may be having problems due to a jailbreak or unlock bug.

thanks for the replies, even if i go uptairs at home the wifi cuts out!! love the phone but getting rather annoyed with it, i'm on virgin so 3G not working due to carrier changing to orange, so thats that figured, just the darn wifi!! i'll have a go with redsn0w and see what happens! thanks again!

Stc said:
Wouldn't 3g work if you changed your apn settings to your new carrier?

That is usually how it works.

1-go to settings
2-click on general
3-go to bottom & click on reset
4-then click on reset network settings
this may take a bit but be patient.....should fix you up