What's new

HELP with icloud, contacts, emails...on new phone!

amyinnc

Reaction score
ok so i am setting up the replacement iphone..i backed up my stuff from my old phone into itunes..we have an icloud account.

when I plugged my new iphone in, i think i clicked on "set up as new iphone" instead of restore from old one..

now, HOW do I get all my contacts, apps..back! And how about emails? i have about 5..ive only got one on there now, and when I try and add the others, i get error messages?????

You can do a full reset of the phone and start over.

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings.

Once you do that, the phone will act like it is brand new and this time select restore from iCloud backup.

so on the new phone, since ive only added one or two things, just start over? will i have to do *228 and all that again?
When I plug it into itunes, the only options were a restore from old phone or start as new phone?
and how about the email issue? Any ideas??

ok i just realized that we have icloud on my husbands mac (mine is using firefox, not safari) Would that make a difference? I only use my mac when i hook up my iphone for pictures mostly...

so on the new phone, since ive only added one or two things, just start over? will i have to do *228 and all that again?
When I plug it into itunes, the only options were a restore from old phone or start as new phone?
and how about the email issue? Any ideas??

Answering your questions in order.
That's probably the easiest way off the top of my head.
No.
Correct. I have NEVER liked how iTunes handle that.
The restore will add the email settings back. You will have to reenter the passwords.

ok i just realized that we have icloud on my husbands mac (mine is using firefox, not safari) Would that make a difference? I only use my mac when i hook up my iphone for pictures mostly...

Not that I am aware of.

ok well im still struggling with icloud...i backed the old one up into itunes..will have to reset the phone AGAIN and get contacts that way. One more try and i'll be going manual! LOL

once last question..once im done with it all..do i just do a "restore to factory settings" on the old one before returning it, right?

If you used iTunes to backup your old iPhone last, then you should use iTunes to restore to the new one since that is the most current version. And that doesn't require a wipe so you can skip that step. Just plug the new iPhone in and when it asks "setup as new" or "restore" pick restore. Sorry I didn't catch on to that sooner. Trying to answer quickly is sometimes not the wisest idea.

And yes, on the old phone do a full system wipe.

ok...but ive already plugged the new phone in to the computer and opened itunes once before...so will i still be able to do the update, or will i have to start over? (sorry if im confusing you too!) LOL

You will be able to plug it in and on that device you will be able to select restore. Then you can pick your backup that you want to restore.

ok do i click restore on the phone (under what?) Or do I click restore on the itunes screen, under summary, then version??

iTunes screen under summary and then Version.