What's new

Help Please!! Unknown Error!!

AlexDougan

Reaction score
Hey guys.So this morning I tried to update my Iphone 5 too the new ISO that was 6.1 or something like that. Then my phone just stopped working I couldn't turn it on at all, The iTunes logo was on the screen but nothing would work. I then did a hard reset but nothing happened either. I was able to get it into restore mode. But now when I restore I get an error saying " The Iphone "Iphone" cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1). PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited:
I've not modified my phone since jailbreaking in Dec 2011 so I'm not positive this will work.

Do you have a current backup?

1) Ensure you have the most recent backup in iTunes; close iTunes and disconnect the phone from the computer

2) On the phone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. The phone will erase everything and go back to fresh out of the box

3) Plug it back into the computer and open iTunes. Accept everything iTunes says to do - all the way up to the part where you want to restore as new NOT restore from backup. Your sole goal at this time is to get the phone to the point where you can turn off iTunes, yet have the phone set up enough that you can enter in your wireless information...

4) Once you have a brand new phone you should have the latest version of iOS

im sorry but I cant even turn the phone on? And I have never backed the phone up onto my itunes

It sounds like you need to call Apple or if you are close to an Apple store make an appointment. How long have you had your phone?

I have had my phone for about 1 month now. I have just made an appointment but I have to travel over 1hour and 30min to get there.

Did you attempt to restore using DFU mode? Or did you just click Restore in iTunes.

I have spoke to apple and they tried to tell me it was the usb cord I was using. but I have tried 3 cords now all with the same error and 3 different computers/laptops. And im not sure what mode I am in haha. My phone went to a blue screen for about 10 seconds and then now only displays the iTunes and cord logo.

To put the device into DFU do the following:
  1. Connect your device to your PC.
  2. Hold both the power and home button for 12 seconds
  3. After 12 seconds, release the power/sleep button but continue to hold the home button
  4. Keep holding the home button until your computer recognizes the device (Windows will have that little duh dah sound when you connect new hardware) then release it
At this point, your device should have a black screen, and iTunes will say that it's detected a device in Recovery Mode. Make sure that it's a black screen. This black screen shows that your device is in DFU mode. Once your device is in DFU mode, go to your iPhone's profile on the left hand taskbar, and Shift+Click the Restore button. Point iTunes to the iOS 6.1 IPSW for your iPhone 5 (make sure the IPSW matches your device type as well, whether if it's a GSM, Dual Band or a Global). iTunes will then restore your device.

it is a hardware issue...it has something to do with the baseband..not quite sure with iphone 5 though,but we have tested it on iphone 4.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I suggest you to send in service center...

Last edited:
Well I did that it got further then last time. But I still get the same error :( Thanks for your help though.

Anyway, what OS are you using?try it on another computer,MAC is much better,make sure that your battery is atleast 80% full.check usb port on phone and the cable,make sure it is clean, then follow the instruction of willerz2 to put your device in DFU mode..
If you ever able to run the device in normal mode after successful restoring the phone..check your imei, if it is 0000 then your baseband is corrupted...it is a hardware issue..

Send it to service center...

Last edited: