What's new

Help! My iPhone sents tons of data.

Railer81

Reaction score
Hello. i'm new to this forum.
I haven't seen a similar thread, nor i found anything on google.

My iPhone cellular data usage is incredibly high, since a few days. When i go to cellular data usage statistics, it shows, that there is a huge amount of uploading going on, even, when no app is running.

Is there a chance, to find out, what is causing this, what data is being sent, and to where?

As i have a limited data plan, this is a huge problem for me. In fact, i cant let Cellular data on for long, without running out of data within a few hours. (with no apps appear to be running on switcher)

What i tried to do so far is to delete caches and data on Safari, but this had no effect.

I've got a iPhone 4s (jailbroken) running iOS 5.0.1

Thanks.

Hello. i'm new to this forum.
I haven't seen a similar thread, nor i found anything on google.

My iPhone cellular data usage is incredibly high, since a few days. When i go to cellular data usage statistics, it shows, that there is a huge amount of uploading going on, even, when no app is running.

Is there a chance, to find out, what is causing this, what data is being sent, and to where?

As i have a limited data plan, this is a huge problem for me. In fact, i cant let Cellular data on for long, without running out of data within a few hours. (with no apps appear to be running on switcher)

What i tried to do so far is to delete caches and data on Safari, but this had no effect.

I've got a iPhone 4s (jailbroken) running iOS 5.0.1

Thanks.

What is your data sent number?

I don't understand. That is not normal.

Do you ever use/connect to wifi?

Have you selected "Backup to iCloud"? Or left this as the default! That would co it, although usually it will wait until your iPhone is being charged and connected to WiFi.

iCloud Backup is disabled. Only function on is Find my iPhone.
right now i only use wifi. data gets too expensive, caused this prob.

Is there no data tracking (cydia) app, telling me which services using what amount of data incoming and outgoing?

It looks as if you have a jail broken iPhone. I know nothing about them or their problems so I'll drop out of this discussion. Best of luck!

iCloud Backup is disabled. Only function on is Find my iPhone.
right now i only use wifi. data gets too expensive, caused this prob.

Is there no data tracking (cydia) app, telling me which services using what amount of data incoming and outgoing?

Actually there is an awesome data tracking tweak.

It's called WeeTrackData.

Get that.

Occasionally I would go over my 2GB data plan but as soon as I got WeeTrackData I was able to keep track of my daily usage. When I got close to my max data usage for one day on a 2GB month plan(34MB/day) I would just turn off data

Just open the settings for it in the settings app....add 1024 (1GB) because verizon billing are split in 2 week periods. 1GB per 2 weeks.

Activate in notification center.

Then pull down notification center, scroll to the left for "Today's Usage" and make you check that from time to time, to make sure you do not go over you limit.

Having this will help you to see how much data a day up are actually using. It's nice.

Yes. I will go for that, later. thanks. but it doesn't help with my prob.

I need to know, WHICH service is using so much upload, while no app iss running.

I can't afford to enable data right now, because something is uploading heaps of data from my iphone to somewhere... i need to know what that is!

Railer81 said:
Yes. I will go for that, later. thanks. but it doesn't help with my prob.

I need to know, WHICH service is using so much upload, while no app iss running.

I can't afford to enable data right now, because something is uploading heaps of data from my iphone to somewhere... i need to know what that is!

Yes... But you are not going any information.

All you said is why is my data sent so high wry all apps closed.

When was the last time you restored, and if your jailbroken...which tweaks do you have installed, and which iPhone do you have? This info matters. CDMA iPhone? GSM? 4 or 4S......or 3GS?

Think of everything that uses up data. Then make sure it's all closed out.

Seems like you might have a constant program running that is draining your data usage up, from the jailbreak.

As said in my opening thread, i've got an iPhone 4s, jailbroken. it's a GSM model.
The applist from cydia would be very long.

Looks like i need to restore the whole thing, now.

I just hoped, there is an app or tweak, that gives easily information about which services are using which amount of cellular data. Like a data tracking app but with THIS details.

Otherwise, it's gonna be very difficult, to find out whats happening here and to avoid the same prob in the future. By the way: Meanwhile i also uninstalled all apps from cydia, not coming with the jailbreak - no difference.

Railer81 said:
As said in my opening thread, i've got an iPhone 4s, jailbroken. it's a GSM model.
The applist from cydia would be very long.

Looks like i need to restore the whole thing, now.

I just hoped, there is an app or tweak, that gives easily information about which services are using which amount of cellular data. Like a data tracking app but with THIS details.

Otherwise, it's gonna be very difficult, to find out whats happening here and to avoid the same prob in the future. By the way: Meanwhile i also uninstalled all apps from cydia, not coming with the jailbreak - no difference.

How the last time you restored your phone? Have you ever restored it? If so. How long ago.

There is an application in Cydia thy allows you not only monitor data, but tells you what process are using how much data.

The app is called:

It's called DataMonitor. Check that out.

But you did not say what the "sent" number was.

It could simply be a bandwidth problem. You need to contact your carrier and ask them why your phone is using so much data.

Hmm, was is a sent number? where can i find it?

I think, last restore was, when absinthe was released for 4s, so it was, when i jailbreaked it.

Thanks for that datamonitor advice, i will go for that and try.

OK, i installed DataManager, but i couldn't find the data usage statistics for each process or service, but there is an option to see, which processes are actually running.

Does it help, to write all processes down, to see if there are any suspicious processes there?

By the way: Looks, like i don't have this Upload problem on WiFi. Only on Cellular Data.

Railer81 said:
OK, i installed DataManager, but i couldn't find the data usage statistics for each process or service, but there is an option to see, which processes are actually running.

Does it help, to write all processes down, to see if there are any suspicious processes there?

By the way: Looks, like i don't have this Upload problem on WiFi. Only on Cellular Data.

It's always best to transfer data with wifi.